Chapter 40: Journey to the East

Mono stormed through the streets, a few of the Cultists immediately scurrying out of her path. Mono never hurt any of them, but it was well-known throughout the twisted city that it was better to avoid her on the rare occasion she was upset enough to show it.

Her eye scanned the streets, searching for the spy. He wasn't around. Mono ran to the bell tower, the door slamming against the wall when she pushed it open. Jack was reading a book at the table, Tourmaline quietly eating across from him. The fairy had bandages wrapped around her chest and stomach, and every bite seemed painful. The Ripper looked up at the Cult leader curiously, his smile glued to his face. "Oh. Bonjour, Milady. What is the problem?"

Mono slammed her knuckles against the table, leaving a dent in the wood. "Your report?"

Jack didn't flinch, unfazed by her outburst. "Report?" He echoed. Mono nodded, Jack scratching his chin. "... Mademoiselle Tourmaline is recovering at the rate we expected-"

"Not that," Mono snarled. "What did you learn in Faralda?"

Jack hummed, setting his book down, leaving it open so he wouldn't lose his page. "Oh, that," he said calmly. "I heard from that Pip boy that they were going east to the desert. They mentioned a city, which I am sure you and Mon Seigneur found if you're asking for a report-"

"Which road are they taking?"

Jack paused, looking up at her. "... Milady, could you possibly be thinking of launching an attack? Does Mon Seigneur know of this?"

Mono shook her head slowly. "No, and he won't until it's over," she hissed. "This is a personal matter, Mr. Gulden. One that does not concern you."

Jack liked this unpredictability. Whatever they had done to set Mono off, it had offended her enough to willingly go after them without the First Vao's knowledge. "... Very well, Milady. They're taking a road that travels north of the Royal Capital. It's been in disrepair for a long time, so I would assume they're using it to lower the risk of running into the Church. The Blue Road, I do believe it's called."

Mono stood up straight, nodding her head curtly. "Thank you, Mr. Gulden. Is there anything else I should be made aware of?"

Jack drummed his fingers against the table thoughtfully. "... Oui. Yin and Vao's père is accompanying them. They should be riding in a carriage, if I did not mishear monsieur Ozpin," he said calmly. He looked back to Mono, the corners of his lips twitching upwards, his curiosity flickering in his yellow eyes. "... I understand you have already said it is not my concern, Milady, but... May I ask why you are directly involving yourself and not sending the Cultists? Surely they would be enough to complete this task?"

Mono was already making her way for the door, her eye twitching once, and then going still. "... This is not your concern," she repeated darkly. "However, their blood will be on my hands. That is all I will say to you."

She slammed the door shut, rounding the corner and slamming the door to the house she shared with the First Vao open, and into her room. As expected of Mono, it was kept neat and tidy. She stepped across the grey carpet and threw open her closet, reaching inside to grab something she rarely found the need to use because of her power. That, and she didn't want to damage it. After all, it was a gift from the First Vao, and one of Mono's most prized possessions.

She swung it over her shoulder with ease, and raced from the house. Intolerably heavy, with the sole purpose of its creation being to fit Mono and Mono alone, it was nearly unfit to be called a weapon by human standards. But Mono wasn't human. Her pupil warped and twisted, taking on the appearance of a clock dial.