Chapter 68: The Truth Comes in Pieces

When Salem finally reached the bottom of the great tree, Ashley was already waiting just as she said she would. She had her gas mask tilted up to expose her mouth again as she munched on a cucumber, sitting on the edge of the roots. She quickly finished her cucumber and dropped her mask back down when she heard them approach, hopping off her seat and picking up the sword.

"Hey! Is this wot you were looking for?" She asked. Salem took the sword in her hand, staring at its jewel-encrusted sheath.

There was no doubt about it. It was the Relic of Destruction. That confirmed her suspicions; the Relics had somehow ended up in the First Vao's Reality. "Yes, this is it... Are you certain you don't know where a staff or a crown could possibly be?"

Ashley shrugged, pausing after taking a look at everyone. She held up her gloved hand and seemed to struggle with counting her fingers. "U-um... Wot happened to the other lady?"

Salem didn't really want to answer that. But it was probably best that she say something so Ashley wouldn't go looking for her. "Mono... Needed some time to herself," she said, trying to avoid saying anything unnecessary. "She'll catch up."

As if on cue, Salem turned to see Mono walking down the vines, dropping to the ash. She didn't look like she wanted to talk to anyone, and was probably best left alone for now. She looked like she was about to strangle the next person who looked at her funny, and knowing Mono, that was a reasonable possibility. Ashley cleared her throat nervously, tugging at her collar and adjusting her mask.

"Um... Right-o. There's a lake past the forest here. There's not really many ways across, but there are still ways. The water's really warm, too... Perhaps we can take a break there? Collect our bearings?"

Salem looked to Mono to see if the monoeye liked the idea. Mono didn't seem like she particularly cared. She kept looking at Ashley. Salem turned to the other three, raising an eyebrow. Sapphire fiddled with her fingers.

"Don't like baths... Hate them... I hate baths... Lakes are just big bathtubs of nature," she muttered. Jasper sighed, leaning back on Salem's shoulder.

"I'm... Fine with whatever," she muttered. Saril nodded.

"L... Likewise..."

Salem nodded to Ashley. "Yes please," she answered glumly. Ashley stared at them, their reflections staring back from the goggles of her gas mask.

"... Did something happen while I was away?" She asked worriedly. "You guys look down in the dumps..."

Salem shook her head, walking forward and gesturing for her to start guiding them. "Don't worry about it, Ashley."

She made a mental note that Ashley wasn't aware of the First Vao's memories. She certainly wouldn't have questioned why they looked so depressed if she did; especially not to Mono's face.

Above them, the tree branches clacked together as the scarlet leaves rained down from above, Ashley adjusting her mask to eat another cucumber. At this point Salem was wondering where the hell she was getting so many cucumbers.

"... Ashley?" Mono asked quietly. Ashley turned around curiously, walking backwards.

"Hm?"

"Can we see your scars under your mask?"

Salem knew what Mono was trying to do. She was trying to get Ashley to take off her mask to see if she was the First Vao or not. After seeing his memory of their night together, she had grown desperate to find him. But Ashley wouldn't budge.

"I-I really don't feel comfortable doing that, mate," she replied. "I'm sorry, but my mug is really messed up. It's like a bloody nightmare."

"How so? Can you describe it?"