Chapter 27: Crackling Tensions

Note: In this chapter, Vao (Third Timeline, not the First) makes a reference to one of my favorite games. Can you guess what it is when you see it?

You don't have to. I just thought it would be a fun way to interact with you guys. I've been planning the reference for a few months now because it fits with how much Vao hates Yin right now. At the end of the chapter, I'll leave another note that says what the reference was to.

By the way, as I said in my profile update I was researching spider anatomy to be as accurate as possible for you guys to get immersed. It came with fucking pictures. I've seen some really horrifying shit I can't forget. You're welcome.

Regardless, enjoy the chapter.

...

The guards snapped to attention when they saw the figure stumbling down the road, driving their spears into the ground before crossing the weapons.

"Halt," the first one demanded in a loud, yet clear voice. "State your-!?"

Crunch.

A massive hand shot out from underneath the black robe and seized the visor of his helmet, crushing the man's head inside. The second guardsman shivered, his body unable to move. The hulking figure dropped the corpse on the ground, shambling past the guard. He only stopped to give one order, not even bothering to look back.

"... Get rid of that corpse, or I'll leave your family the same way."

"Y-yes, Cardinal!"

The hood was pulled far over his pale face, his cloak dragging across the ground as he walked through the city, the townsfolk scrambling to get out of his path. Those who were unlucky enough to fail were either swatted away harshly, or murdered on the street.

Rojo's lips were parted, revealing the tips of his white teeth. Those same lips were curled into a shaky smirk, his eyes focused only on his goal. The cathedral of Faralda loomed in front of him, welcoming the Cardinal home. Rojo lost track of time since Jack and the Cult kidnapped him, but he didn't feel like it mattered. Not when Jack had shown him so many wonderful things, and met a certain someone.

The heavy doors weighed nothing to someone as muscular as Rojo was as he pushed them open, the priests inside startled by the sudden sound. One of them approached, pure joy in his aged eyes.

"C-Cardinal Rojo! You've returned! Where have you been!? His Holiness has been searching everywhere for y-!"

Rojo pushed him to the ground, his foot stomping down on the priest's jaw, cracking his teeth from his gums.

"Get out... Of my fuckin' way," Rojo snickered. His subordinates scrambled out of his way, fear gripping their chests.

Rojo had always been cruel. But he never outright assaulted another member of the Church. In fact, something about him disturbed them. The very air around him felt unnatural, dark, twisted. His boots echoed down the halls of the cathedral, his gaze fixated on the door at the very end. With a raise of his boot, he kicked it off its hinges with very little effort.

C-crack!

Rojo heard the high-pitched voices scream in shock, dozens of little eyes staring up at him with terror as they recognized him immediately. His personal Choir, a convent of young priests and nuns. His lips curled into a disgusting grin, finally exposing his teeth completely.

"Hey, kids," he hissed coldly. "Daddy's home..."

Far to the south, away from the sounds of screaming echoing through the cathedral walls, the large group of Cultists marched through the plains, a man with one eye on the verge of a meltdown.