Chapter 5: Problems

The first thing Salem saw when she stepped downstairs into the main room of the Adventurer's Guild was Yin, Sasha, and Verde sitting at a table, waiting for her. Vao was nowhere in sight.

"Good morning," she called out.

"Oh. Morning, Princess," Yin replied. He looked bored. Sasha was dozing off in her seat, and Verde was drawing something on a piece of parchment, her quill making gentle scratching sounds that occasionally paused when she dipped her utensil into an inkwell. Salem couldn't tell what the witch was drawing from where she was standing, but the sheer amount of detail Verde was putting into her drawing was overwhelming. It seemed she was still an artist, even if the world had changed so much. Salem looked around the Guild, her eyebrows furrowing in worry. "... Where is Vao?"

"I dunno," Yin answered.

"What do you mean, you don't know?"

Yin shrugged. "He was with us when we came here with Verde, but he disappeared."

They turned when they heard the door in the back open. And sure enough, Vao stepped out, adjusting his clothes. Yin glared at him suspiciously. "... Why are your clothes messed up?"

"I was... Um... Busy."

Behind him, Melanie stepped out of the backroom and flashed him a smirk. The thief waved back, his signature grin returning to his face. Yin growled. "You're disgusting..."

"You're just mad you can't get any."

Yin shot to his feet with his staff in his hand, prepared to clobber his older brother over the head. Vao flinched, but skipped away with a happy laugh. Verde sighed, pulling her hat further over her eyes. Salem took this opportunity to take a quick peek at her parchment. She had been drawing a picture of Vao. Somehow, she managed to get every detail perfect with a feather and ink. Yin looked over her shoulder, scoffing in disgust. "Drawing your puppet?"

"Leave me alone," Verde snapped. She knew Yin wouldn't touch her when Vao was in the same room. The cleric hissed in annoyance, turning back to Salem.

"Forget the heretic. We aren't going on any quests today," he explained. Salem tilted her head. "Why?"

"Because everything that was easy already got taken," Sasha answered. "Vao wants us to go fight a dragon, but none of us are even close to an appropriate level for that."

"You just have to believe, mate!" Vao shouted. He had come back. Sasha rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, I believe. I believe we'll freaking die."

"That's the spirit! Wait... No. Be positive."

Salem sat down across from Yin, ordering a drink as Miltia walked past. "So if we aren't taking any quests... What are we going to do?" She asked.

"Well, we were kind of just going to relax for the day... As long as Vao doesn't do anything stupid."

They all shot a dirty look at Vao. Except for Verde. She just kept drawing, deciding it was none of her business. The thief laughed loudly. "Wot? Stupid? Me?"

"Yes. You," Yin growled. Vao stopped laughing.

"... I wasn't... I was going to help out me mum today..."

"Help her with what? Committing a felony?" Sasha joked. But Vao didn't laugh.

"No... I was going to help her sell flowers because she's been stressed lately and I love me mum... Wot kind of relationship do you guys think I have with her?"

Everyone at the table shared a guilty look. They didn't expect Vao to be so sweet. They felt bad. Yin looked up at Vao apologetically. "Hey, I'm sorry..."