Chapter 12: The Secret City, Part Two

The door flung wide open, waking Yin up with a start. He didn't even have time to pick up his head when a cup of ice cold water was poured on his forehead, chasing away any hope of returning to his slumber. In his panic, he threw himself from the wet covers and landed on the floor, staring up at the wolfish grin of his older brother.

"Morning."

Yin stood up, his hair soaked. He shot Vao a dirty glare, crossing his arms in front of his chest. "... I hate you. I hate you so freaking much..."

"I love you too," Vao snickered like the shithead he was. He drank the rest of the water before setting it on the end table, one hand in his pocket while the other waved as he talked. "Anyway, I got tired of waiting for you to wake up, bruv."

Yin raised a brow. "... Don't you have anything better to do? I'm... Not exactly in a good mood today."

"Oh, piss off. You're never in a good mood," Vao muttered. "Look, I talked to Poppy this morning, and she said you were really mean to her yesterday."

"I see no point in being polite to a monster," Yin snarled. Vao shrugged.

"Don't really care. Poppy's shift doesn't start until tonight, so you're gonna be hanging out with us. Not giving you a choice, mate."

Yin felt his heart sink. "Vao, I can't!" He protested furiously. "It's not only degrading as a human being, but it's illegal! I don't care if the Church doesn't know this disgusting place exists, I'm not breaking the law!"

"I'll tell you wot my mum always tells me: 'it's not illegal if no one finds out, so why are the guards approaching me at work saying you burned their yard'."

"I will nev... Wait, what?"

"Yeah, she hit me with the shovel after that," Vao laughed. "It hurt really bad, but she took me out for ice cream and told me not to tell dad."

Yin's anger had washed away. "Vao, are... Are you okay at home?"

"Yeah, why?"

Yin decided to drop the topic of Vao's questionable childhood. "... Do we have to do this, Vao?"

"Absolutely," Vao pressed. "I was gonna invite Verde too, but I can't find her. So it'll just be the three of us!"

A pang of guilt hit Yin's stomach. He didn't say anything - he knew Vao would flip. With a groan, he followed the alcoholic out of the room and down the halls, where the blue-feathered harpy waited. Poppy jumped up when she saw them, like the pure little bundle of energy and joy she was.

"Hi, hi~!" She chirped. "You actually got him!"

Yin scowled, trying to give Vao a hint that he really didn't want to socialize. The worst part was that he knew Vao noticed. He just didn't care. He pointed at the harpy. "This was your idea, right? Didn't I tell you to leave me alone?"

"Did you?" She replied curiously.

For a second he thought she was mocking him. But he quickly remembered that she didn't have a very good memory. Just what he needed, he thought. Vao was already difficult enough, but two idiots would overwhelm him. "Can you at least read?"

"Nuh-uh."

Scratch that. Two illiterate idiots. He just woke up and was already having a bad day. Vao took a sip from his flask, nudging Yin playfully. "Well, let's get going! Poppy and I spent all morning planning stuff to do!"

Yin raised a brow. "... How long have you been awake?"

"I dunno. The sun wasn't even up when I went to Poppy's house."