Chapter 55: Forbidden Secrets

The four stumbled out of the burning forest, coughing and choking on the thick plumes of smoke that still rose into the air.

"D... Damn it," Sasha growled. "She got away... What was she even here for? She didn't hurt Salem..."

None of them had the answer to Sasha's question. In silence they walked back to Faralda, their heads hung low. It was only after a while that Yin broke the silence.

"Could it have been espionage?" He suggested.

"Why would the First Vao send Mono for espionage?" Vao pointed out. "We'd recognize her right away. Wouldn't he'd send someone we don't know? That's wot I would do, and he's me. I-in a weird, messed up way, not in an 'I eat people' way..."

He brought up a good argument. There was no way the First Vao would send Mono when she was much higher than petty spying. It wasn't until a voice called out to them from the broken gate that they looked up.

Salem was jogging towards them, the rest of their friends following behind. They all looked at each other before running towards the princess and the others, slowing to a stop.

"Salem! What was she here for? She came from where you went," Yin asked.

"She... She asked a couple questions," Salem replied. "The First Vao... The Blood is taking effect on him... She didn't do anything to me."

Relief washed over them. They had been lucky again. If Mono had wanted, Salem would have been dead - all of them would have died.

But just how much longer would they be lucky? From Salem's answer about why Mono had risked starting a war by coming to Faralda, their luck was about to run out. "Wait, wait... I thought the Blood was already affecting him. Since like, the First Timeline," Sasha said quietly. Salem nodded.

"Yeah, it has. It's the reason he needs to eat people; normal food can sustain him, but it'll never satiate his appetite. The Blood corrodes his stomach to the point the only thing that fills him is the flesh of others. If he doesn't eat people, he'll be driven to complete insanity. If it's worrying Mono now, it's a lot worse than we thought... And I know it's getting worse; I saw it."

They stopped, their hearts beginning to race. "Saw... Wot?" Violet nearly stammered.

"His face," Salem said quietly. "Didn't you see his face? Those black veins?"

There was silence. And finally Yin spoke up. "I... I did," he admitted. "I thought I was going crazy..."

Vao furrowed his eyebrows, looking down in thought. "Wait... You had that stuff, too... Then that means..."

He didn't finish his sentence. As they walked back to Faralda's gate, a dreadful silence fell over them. "What... What are we supposed to do if that happens?" Jasper whispered. "Even now we can't go man-to-man with the First Vao..."

Salem shook her head. "We still have time to think about it. The First Vao has feelings for Mono; that attachment is enough to keep the Blood from stealing his humanity. You remember the Blood's weakness, right? How to temporarily stop its effect on people? You figured it out way back in the First Timeline."

"A strong emotional shock," Yin answered distantly. "But... If it's getting this bad, then... We're going to eventually have to deal with the First Vao. He was still under the Blood's control even when he kidnapped my mom. If the Blood grows used to Mono being around, he won't just be a threat to us - the whole world'll be in danger."