Chapter 82: Lord Vao Dusty Branwen, Part Three

Jasper dove through the bars, her eyes squeezing shut as she felt the Darkness burn, blackening the front and back of her clothes she landed on the other side, catching Sapphire's attention.

"Jasper? What are you doing over there? We're supposed to be in here!" She giggled.

"Shut up," the fairy snapped. "I'm going to help Salem-"

Jasper stopped when she saw the expressions the other Heroes were wearing. Even Mono had turned from her argument with Yin, staring at the garden of the red spider lilies. Jasper followed their gazes, her eyes widening in surprise.

Salem was taking off her armor, letting the chest plate fall to the ground, soon followed by her chainmail tunic that had been underneath. She was making herself even with the First Vao, who stood back and waited for her to get ready.

"W... What the hell is she doing?" Sasha muttered. "She's weakening her own defenses?"

Salem and the First Vao stared at each other, the Lord of Grimmore flashing a small smirk. "... You ready?" He rasped. Salem nodded.

"Yeah... Let's settle this old score, once and for all," she growled back. The First Vao let out a content sigh. He was in his element.

Their magics began to crackle through the air like lightning around their bodies. They were going to go all out. Celestial magic and Darkness began to battle against each other as they took the first step in unison, the two demigods staring each other down. The First Vao popped his knuckles, jerking his head at her.

"Right... Let's just get right to the point, Mistress."

Salem launched herself at him with a shockwave that sent the flowers arching into the sky, the First Vao's Darkness wrapping around his pale body.

CRACK!

Her magic sizzled against the shield, the Darkness peeling back just enough to expose his face. He was wearing an irritating smirk - not the smirk of the Lord of Grimmore, not the smirk of a murderous cannibal hell-bent on her murder.

It was the irritating, shit-eating grin of Vao Branwen.

Salem felt her lips tugging upwards into a smirk of her own. He was back. The real First Vao was back.

Jasper was nearly knocked from the air when Salem let loose on his shield, the fairy crying out in terror as she dodged the Celestial beams that snapped past her. The others were screaming for her to return to the safety of their prison - that even Mono was having a hard time keeping her balance under the power of the two who had surpassed their humanity itself. But Jasper ignored them, dropping to the ground and clinging to the grass, using it to pull herself closer.

SMASH!

With a final kick Salem shattered the Darkness, the First Vao skidding back - but more than ready for her when she charged. In an instant the world went pitch dark, his Aura piercing the blackness. Unable to see his hands, Salem quickly threw a shield of her own around her. She could feel her magic tremble as the First Vao slammed against it, his Aura disappearing as ash floated in the Darkness. She spun around and drove her leg into his hip, the Darkness fading in an instant.

The First Vao leapt into the air, his Darkness raising him higher and higher, his axe held tight in his hands. With each swing he sent arcs of magic hurtling her way, the Celestial retrieving her sword and cutting through them.

"Nyahahahaha!"

His laughter pierced the air. But it lacked the anger. It lacked the insanity. He was having fun. Just like the old days. Salem grabbed him when he rocketed towards her, their magics burning the air, driving Jasper back. The fairy was beginning to sweat.