Chapter 77: Family

The air was dead silent, the tension only growing as they stared each other down, several pairs of eyes meeting a single red one. The First Vao had propped his head on his arm, his free hand holding a mug of hot chocolate in his hand, occasionally taking a long, quiet sip as he stared straight at Raven.

Ozpin anxiously drummed his fingers against the table. This hadn't gone anywhere so far; no one had said a word. It was up to him to break the tension. He cleared his throat, letting his mug tap against the glass desk.

"So... We wanted to talk-"

"No shit," the First Vao rasped. "Get to the point."

Ozpin bit back a bitter remark, glancing towards the other guests of his office, inviting them to speak in his place. It would be better that way. The First Yin was smoking a cigarette, his shoulders tensed as if he was expecting his brother to dive over the table in an attempt to paint the walls red with Raven's insides.

Which, as much as Ozpin wished it weren't so, was a likely possibility. The First Vao was still mentally screwed even if he didn't have the Blood - as it turns out, killing billions of people has severe effects on the mind.

The First Yin only continued smoking, not saying a word and not taking his eyes off his older brother. For a moment it looked like Tai would say something before he lost his nerve, Summer in the same boat. Qrow was of similar mind as the First Yin - watching the First Vao very, very carefully. It was Ruby who broke the silence, her half-eaten face staring at her folded hands.

"... I'd have thought you'd hate my mom more than anyone..."

The First Vao turned his cold glare to her. "Shut the 'ell up-"

"For FUCK'S SAKE!" Qrow screamed, slamming his fists against the desk. For a moment Ozpin was worried it might break. The drunk pointed at the First Vao, a vein snaking it's way across his forehead.

"Y'know what kid? We all thought this fit you've been havin' was just the Blood. But are you actually this selfish? It's just like your asshole brother says; Raven didn't do a single fucking thing to you other than giving you away to who she thought would be better parents, and you manipulated with her, gouged her fuckin' eyes over it! Ain't that enough!?"

"No. It isn't," the First Vao hissed. "Watch yourself, drunk."

"Nah, don't feel like it."

Ozpin drove his cane hard into the floor, stopping the fight before it started again. "That is enough! Vao, is it really that difficult to give Raven a chance? You gave Summer a chance!"

The First Vao rounded on him in an instant. "You want the truth, or do you want me to tell you wot you want to hear, you crusty old raspberry tart!? I'll tell you wot I should have done; I should have finished the fucking job! Maidens on your side of the war were a target! I should have left her bloody corpse in the Vault!"

"Fuck you!" Yang screamed. "When we all gave up hope for you, she was the only one who STILL thought there was some good in you! Even when I had amnesia I saw just how much she loved you! I can't even begin to tell you how many times she begged Yin not to put you down like a fucking animal!"

"You want a rematch, you bimbo!? I ain't sick this time!" The First Vao screamed back. "If she was that sorry, she'd have killed herself! Good riddance to bad rubbish!"

It took nearly everyone to restrain the First Yin from beating the shit out of the First Vao, the blonde nearly foaming at the mouth as he spat out a slew of insults. Ozpin pinched the bridge of his nose, heaving a sigh. This was going to be a lot harder than he thought. He had originally brought everyone here to talk to the First Vao about his murderous hatred for Salem, and didn't take into account just how much of a mess this family was. The First Vao hated Raven nearly as much as he hated Salem. If they couldn't convince him to reconcile with Raven, how could they possibly convince him not to kill Salem the first chance he got?