Chapter 33: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part Two

Salem was shaken awake, the princess lethargically rolling over. But the hands were persistent, shaking her again until she finally turned to glare at Pock. "What...?"

The goblin was sweating. "S-something go on... Ozpin tell me to get you up."

Salem swung her legs over the bed, sliding her feet into her boots and rubbing the sleep from her eyes as Pock led her down the stairs, where the other adventurers waited. The first thing she noticed was the inn was nearly empty, with Harold and Rinys getting ready. The poltergeist was shaking with excitement as he adjusted his wife's Cultist robes, taking notice of the adventurers.

"Oh! You don't have robes! Not good, not good!" He cried out. Without hesitation, he ran into the wall and phased through it, Rinys turning to the adventurers. She was wearing a huge smile, as if she had just received the happiest news.

"Oh, you really have come at a wonderful time!" She said cheerfully.

Salem didn't remember until a moment later. Today was the celebration that the Cultists had prepared for. That would mean the First Vao would make an appearance. The children were trembling, the adults pale. Their nerves were at the highest they had ever been. They didn't have armies to back them this time. If the First Vao caught on, they were screwed.

Harold came back, a black bundle of cloth in his arms. He eagerly handed them out, giving smaller pairs to the three younger kids. "I hope they fit, I really do! The smaller ones belong to Rinys, so you might have to give them back! The big ones are mine, you can keep those!"

"Oh please, keep mine too! Consider them a gift!"

As Yin slipped the robes over his shoulders, he was shocked to find that they were surprisingly comfortable compared to the ones the Church gave to their priests. He fiddled with the buttons, clipping it around his neck. Harold and Rinys didn't wait for them very long, running out the front door. They could hear hundreds of footsteps outside, their hearts beginning to pound as the adventurers peered outside.

The streets were filled to the brim with cloaked figures of all shapes and sizes, all beaming with pure joy. Adults, children, elderly, it was like the entire city was attending the celebration. Sasha tugged at her collar and gulped, her robes a bit too small for her size. "It... M-might be a bit too late, but I'm really having serious second thoughts right now..."

She spoke for all of them. None of them felt safe stepping outside. But they knew not attending would raise suspicion. Steeling their nerves, they pushed into the crowd, trying not to bump into anyone. An impossible task when arms draped around their shoulders, the Cultists chattering happily amongst each other.

It was really happening. They were going to see the First Vao for the first time outside of a fight. Well, with the one exception of Salem. The princess couldn't help but wonder how he was doing. In the days when he lived in Castle Evernight in the First Timeline, he had been nothing short of depressing. Always keeping to himself, with Cinder and Tyrian being the only ones who dared to draw close, the latter being for a horrible reason that led to the First Vao turning to racism. In fact, he had spent most of his free time when he wasn't training just talking to himself and begging to be forgiven. Salem couldn't imagine that the Blood was helping with his mental instability.

Tap, tap, tap.

Yin leapt behind Vao in an instant, Saril squinting at them from under her hood as she stepped close. And finally, she gave that soulless smile that held no thought. "Hi guys!"

The adventurers shivered. Saril made them very uncomfortable. At least her cloak covered her chest. It didn't cover her spider half, of course. But it at least covered the human parts. Saril beamed, giggling happily. "Are you excited? We get to see our Lord!"