Chapter 14: Dawn of the Festival

The carriage rattled to a halt inside the city gates, the every-busy market of Faralda flowing with travellers and residents alike. Salem yawned as she hopped out the wooden buggy, her eyes adjusting to the sudden brightness of the sun. Yin was next, the cleric rubbing the last of the sleep from his eyes, Sasha ruffling his hair. Then Ozpin, who was sucking down his hot cocoa.

When Verde stepped out of the carriage, she stayed off to the side as Vao carried the egg out, hugging it happily.

"I'm gonna give this as a gift to mum! I want to see her smile."

"You're so sweet," Salem said to him. "But how will you explain where you got it?"

"I'll just lie, I guess. Not much else I can do," Vao muttered. "... Still trying to figure out why Poppy wants me to keep it, but not eat it..."

He seemed to think before shrugging his shoulders. "Well, wotever. I'm going to see mum! Let's go, Love!"

Verde nodded. "Okay."

Sasha chuckled before she stopped. "... Love?" The giant elf's jaw dropped open in shock, her hands shaking. Yin looked at her worriedly.

"Are... You alright?"

"Yes! Yes! YES!"

Ozpin twisted open his thermos, staring into the tin cup. "Ugh... I'm going to buy more cocoa..." Without another word, he walked away with a wave. The others waved back, Sasha still celebrating.

Yin sighed, looking over his hometown. It felt like years since he set foot in the city. It had been a long... How long had it been? Glenroy was more than happy to scream it. "Where is he!?" The Knight Commander roared from behind him.

"S-Sir Glenroy!" Salem shrieked in surprise. The Knight took a more calm approach, bowing respectfully.

"Apologies, Your Highness," he muttered. He turned back to Yin, taking a less formal stance. "Where is that thieving brother of yours? I require him at once."

"He went to see his mom," Yin answered. "Why?"

"The Festival of Light is in two days! He promised he'd help me set up!"

Yin looked back at the market. He felt stupid for not noticing them before. Not only was it busier than usual, but banners and tapestries with the Church's insignia had been hung on stores and stalls, and workers were moving supply crates back and forth. If the Festival of Light was in two days...

"T-two months," he stammered. Sasha raised a brow.

"What?"

"We've been gone for two months!" Yin screamed. "My mom is going to KILL me for not sending a letter! And I don't even want to know what Aunt Raven is doing to Vao!"

The cleric took off running, Glenroy following to find Vao. Salem sighed. It was hard to believe two months had passed. It felt like time had flown past. She turned to Sasha, giving her a curious stare. "... You and Yin seem to be getting along," she commented. "Didn't you hate him before?"

The elf nodded, walking alongside the princess as they wandered into the market. "Yeah, I did. But before we left that place, he ran into me. Looked like a nervous wreck, then asked if I wanted to hang with him. Kinda wanted to see where it was going, next thing I know he's apologizing."

"He... A-apologized?"

"Yup. Startled me, too. I think that place did wonders for him," Sasha grinned. "Kinda makes me happy, though. He's a good dude."

Salem was happy that Yin had calmed down. It still didn't erase what he did to Verde, but he was getting better. Maybe in the future, they could all be friends. But that would take time, something Salem was aware of. Her vision of the Second Timeline's Verde came back to her, what the artist had said. That the plan of the Gods was already in motion. With conviction, she swore she'd stop it before it happened. After all, she was here, and Yin's racism was slowly being undone.