Chapter 41: Ruby Attacks

The trio trudged through the thick undergrowth, Jasper not having to worry about walking once. Being small and perched on Yin's shoulders had its benefits - she didn't get tired.

Salem sighed, watching as Jasper and Vao sent each other glares that could easily kill. She was worried that a fight would break out. But Yin didn't seem worried in the slightest.

"Hey, Hourglass. Is your weed dry yet?"

Vao looked lost. "Hourglass...?"

Yin nodded, pointing at Vao's hips. "I'm talking about your figure."

Vao stared for a moment, trying to figure out what he meant, looking down at his body. And finally his cheeks dusted red, a smirk crossing his lips. "You're just jealous."

"Vao, men shouldn't have an hourglass figure..."

The femboy snickered at Salem's remark, running his hands along his hips. She prayed to whatever deity was watching over them that he would never do that again. Vao dug into his pockets, fishing out a small bag and his pipe.

"My marijuana's been dry this whole time," he said. "It was my pipe and matches I was waiting for. You guys want to smoke?"

Yin nodded, stopping at a stump and sitting down. He held out his hand, Vao preparing the pipe before passing it off. Striking a match, he took a deep breath and let the smoke billow from his lungs, the tension in his shoulders leaving slowly, but surely. Jasper peered down curiously. "... Can I try?"

Vao scoffed. "Aren't you a bit small? You could choke to dea- actually, go ahead."

Jasper almost said something nasty in response. But she bit her tongue as Yin held up the pipe, her tiny lips pressing against the mouthpiece. She felt a tingling sensation fill her body, a shiver running down her spine. Yin looked up at Salem curiously. "You want some?"

The princess shook her head. "No, thanks. Smoking is awful for you. You guys shouldn't even be doing it."

"Well, it helps with my anxiety," Vao muttered, sitting down in the grass. "It helps Yin not blow his lid and get angry... Dunno why Jasper wants to smoke."

The ginger looked up, her eyes already tinted pink. "Fairies are known for being one with nature," she explained. "Some of us smoke, but it's not often."

"One with nature?" Yin echoed curiously. Jasper nodded.

"Yeah. That's the whole identity of fairies; we're beings of nature."

The trio looked at her curiously, as if asking for more. Jasper sighed, climbing down from Yin's shoulder and hopping into the grass. She stepped towards a flower that hadn't bloomed yet, her small hands grasping the stem gently.

"Just watch for a second..."

Vao moved to step on her, but Yin swatted him across the back of his head, nearly knocking it off. They watched in silence as Jasper's magic began to work, the flower slowly blooming. As the colorful petals unfurled, they could only watch in amazement as the grass grew around her, dotted with flower buds. Jasper snickered, sitting on top of the flower.

"Yeah. I'm kind of amazing, aren't I?"

"Be even more amazing if you went into cardiac arrest."

"Vao, shut up," Yin interrupted. "Didn't your mom ever say if you don't have nothing nice to say, don't say anything?"

"No? She always said if I don't have anything nice to say, beat the snot out of them. But if I did that, you'd get all pissy."

... Of course Raven would tell him that. Yin felt stupid for even asking. The blonde shook his head, taking another hit from the pipe and passing it to his older brother.