Chapter 34: Grimmore, the Twilight City, Part Three

Yin and Verde pushed their way into the room, the witch trembling. The healer bit at his nails, his fingers aching. They had searched for hours. Almost four, to be exact, and they couldn't find Pip. They even asked strangers, some pointing in a direction, but it would lead nowhere. They needed to regroup, to strategize another plan. Grimmore was too big to find Pip on foot.

Inside the room, the others were already waiting. Vao was the only one not present. He was still outside, likely walking back to the inn now. Verde moved away, wiping at her eyes with her sleeve. She was worried sick. Yin felt terrible; he was worried too, but he knew it was hitting her especially hard. She saw Pip as her own son. The fact that she could even keep her composure was nothing short of impressive. Sasha looked up at them as they entered, her eyes clouded with a dark shadow.

"... Any luck...?" She asked quietly. She already knew the answer. She just wanted to hope.

The silence was deafening, Yin only shaking his head. Sasha looked away, not saying anything else. Pip was far too young to be walking Grimmore by himself. Too young to fight back if someone attacked him, or worse. And with the Cult having nonhumans among their ranks, flying wasn't a means of escape exclusive to him.

The door swung open, Vao dragging his feet as he stepped inside. He was drenched in sweat, his head hung low. His pipe hung loosely in his hand, the embers smoldering. Yin could feel his anger bubbling.

"You sick little..."

He trailed off. Vao wasn't worth it. The dullahan looked up at him, his red eyes wet.

"... I'm sorry..."

Verde's knuckles popped as she squeezed her staff. She didn't look at him. She didn't even yell at him this time. She just shook her head and sighed. "Go outside. Smoke your pipe," she said coldly. Salem was taken aback. She had never heard Verde sound so upset. Even if her face didn't move, her voice wavered.

Yin glared up at Vao, his hand still throbbing. And finally, his face fell. He wasn't looking at Vao anymore. He was looking at the figure behind him. "P... Pip?"

Vao looked distressed. "I tried looking, but I couldn't find him-"

"No, Pip!"

Vao spun around, looking down at the harpy. In his surprise, he took a step back. Pip was unharmed, the harpy walking into the room with a happy smile. Like he hadn't been missing for half the day. Verde leapt forward, her hands seizing his shoulders. "Where have you been? We were worried sick!"

Pip just giggled. "I went for a walk. I feel better."

Yin knew better than anyone else that Pip wouldn't get over Vao's words from earlier. Not with how much his nephew idolized his father. "Are you sure? We can talk if you want..."

"I'm okay."

"U-um..."

Everyone's eyes turned to Vao. The dullahan was trying to say something. Yin and Verde held their breath. He was trying to get over his natural fear of others. The blonde nodded his head curtly, mouthing out for Vao to continue. The dullahan looked like he was struggling. "... I think... I was a huge arse earlier," he said quietly. "I saw a pond while I was looking for you earlier... Maybe you want to go fishi-"

"No thank you."

Vao flinched. Pip's voice was cold, heartless. The opposite of what it had been his whole life. Yin was a bit surprised, and yet he couldn't blame Pip for not wanting to spend time with Vao. The harpy climbed into bed, using his feet to pull the covers over his small body. "I'm really tired, so I'll be going to sleep," he said cheerfully. "Good night, guys."