Chapter 46: Leaf Games

Creeaaak...

SLAM!

They jumped when the entrance to the golem burst open, the doors slamming against the wall. Smoke billowed out from the doorway, Leaf stumbling out into the desert, coughing loudly and waving the smoke away. The Archbishop looked up at them, his lips curling back into a snarl. Red trickled down his face from underneath his bangs, his blue eyes blazing when he stepped forward, the wind howling through the arena. He had survived.

"You little fucks!" He spat, swinging his arms through the air like a madman. "I was havin' a fuckin' BLAST!"

Yin drew his katana, Vao and Verde stepped back with staff and bow in hand, Sasha drawing her greatsword. "Give it up, Leaf. You lost," the healer growled. "You can't hide behind your robot, and we've got you outnumbered four to one. Do yourself a favor and-"

He was interrupted by a fit of laughter from the Archbishop, the smoker pointing his hand back at Penny's deactivated body. "Hiding!? You think I need a stupid piece of junk to bury you!? Nah, you little faggot. I think you've forgotten just who the fuck I am."

Yin noticed Sasha beginning to tense next to him, his confidence beginning to waver. Leaf had something up his sleeve that he didn't know about. He looked back at the Archbishop, his eyes narrowing.

Leaf hissed, revving Bloodlust and stalking forward.

"You know, I like messin' around and all," he growled, lighting a cigarette. "But now you've REALLY pissed me off. Get yer asses ready; we're about to play some fuckin' Leaf Games!"

Leaf shot forward, the chain of his weapon spinning until it was a deadly blur, his lips curled back in unkempt hatred. Sasha and Yin stumbled to get away, their eyes going wide as Bloodlust narrowly missed the healer's face.

It was like a weapon from Remnant. There was no other purpose for it to exist other than to tear things apart, and if they had tried to block it, their weapons would be split in two. It was unnecessarily violent, just like the evil man who wielded it. They were given no time to recover and regain their footing, Leaf swinging the chain-sword wildly.

Yin backpedaled away, panic beginning to settle in. Vao sprinted in a circle, nocking and arrow and letting it loose. Leaf immediately kicked Yin in the shin and yanked him forward, the arrow piercing the healer's shoulder. Yin's eyes went wide, the pain intensifying the moment the arrowhead poked through the other side.

"Y-Yin!" Vao screamed. He dropped his bow and drew his daggers, rushing Leaf in fury. Sasha's eyes went wide, sweat dripping down her chin.

"Don't fight Leaf man-to-man!"

Vao's arm was immediately redirected, Leaf's knuckles burying deep into his cheek. Teeth flew into the sand, blood spraying from Vao's lips with each punch, his head growing light and dizzy. And finally, the chain drove into the front of his neck, sawing through in an instant. The Archbishop threw the dullahan's head at Verde, the force knocking the witch to the ground before he attacked Sasha, the giant holding out her greatsword.

SHHHIIINK! SHIINK! SHIIIIINK!

Sparks and smoldering slivers of metal rained from the sky, Bloodlust chipping away at her weapon. The tomboy gritted her teeth, glaring at him with bloodshot eyes. "Leaf!"

"Giant," the Archbishop snarled.

Sasha pushed back, her greatsword snapping in two. Dropping the pieces she curled her fists and swung for his face. Leaf ducked and dodged, shielding himself with his forearms before jumping high and decking her in the nose, almost dropping her to the ground.