Chapter 62: Jack the Ripper

He stared at them silently, his yellow eyes flickering with interest. Standing there, wearing that smile. That smile they hated. His hands casually slipped into the pockets of his trousers, staring at them so casually. Jack Gulden, the Ripper.

"... Bonjour," he said. "You didn't kill mademoiselle Mono... How very surprising. But she is of no concern anymore. Non, not at all."

They braced themselves, Yin glaring at him. "You sick bastard," he snarled. "You destroyed her life..."

"Oui. And I'd do it again. And again, and again, until I grow bored," Jack chuckled. "Such is my nature. Just like Mono and the First Vao's nature to kill, it is my nature. But unlike them, I have never regretted what I do. I accept my nature. And you've proven with Mono that you've accepted your nature, too."

They were confused. "... The 'ell you ramblin' about?" Vao growled.

Jack hummed softly, shrugging his shoulders. "Your nature... You are heroes, oui? You want to save everyone you can. You want to do what you believe is right. That is your nature, non?"

"Sounds like a load of creepy bullshit," Sasha muttered. "Let's just get to the part where we fuck your shit up."

"Do you think you can?"

Something about his words put Yin off. The healer stuck his arm out, stopping Sasha just as the elf took a step. "... What are you trying to say?"

Jack seemed happy. "Oh la la... Did you catch the meaning behind my words, monsieur? You can't beat me, non non non. Not even Mono could land a single strike on me. She is weak. You struggled to win a fight against her. You certainly do not stand a chance against me."

"Be careful," Tourmaline whispered into Yin's ear. "No one knows his power. If he really beat Mono, then... This could end very badly."

Yin nodded. He agreed with her. Jack had always been a mystery to them. But there was still a question that burned in his mind. "... Is this your Blood talking?"

Jack blinked. "... You believe my Blood is responsible for my actions?" He asked. Another chuckle. "Monsieur... This is my nature. I have accepted myself for who I truly am. My Blood was not given to me - I was born with it."

Yin felt his heart sinking in his chest. "B... Born...? But you're human..."

"I am certain that by now you understand the Blood's effects vary between persons," Jack replied. "When I was but a fetus in mère, I was touched by Mon Dieu... My God... I was not twisted. I was born this way. That's why I have no regrets. Do you understand? I'd do this all again - I loved every kill I have ever made. I hold no hatred for them. But my nature; I love it. I have killed more men, women, and children than I can count, tortured them to hear their screams. And not once, not even when I murdered mère and père, and my dog Sammy too, have I ever regretted my actions. This is my nature. I am Jack the Ripper."

His smile was perverse. He was disgusting. He was admitting everything he had done, and how much he'd love to do it all again. They had enough. He had managed to piss off every single one of them.

"You sick piece of shit!"

"Sick?" Jack cooed. "... Perhaps. That is what others would call me. But I am just a humble servant of the Gods. Now... What will you do?"

There were no words to be said to him. Drawing their weapons, the adventurers sprinted towards him with the intent to take his head off his shoulders. But Jack's smile only grew.