Prologue

Y/n's POV

My dad came up to me one day in November before December and sat down next to me on the couch.
"Hey sweetie!" He said to me.
"Hey Dad! What's up??"
"So.....I'm actually gonna be at work for Christmas! So....-"
"Dad! Please don't tell me-!"
"Yep! Your gonna be going to Uncle Scott's for Christmas!"
This can't be happening!!!
Let me fill you in! Hi! My name's Y/n Calvin! I'm 17 years old! My mum died when I was 3 years old and my dad is on the verge of being fired from his job! But we still have a nice house!.....but we could lose it all any day now!
"Dad! You know uncle Scott!!!"
"I do, I do! But Charlie will be there!"
"Oh! Yippee!" I said sarcastically.
"Hey! Lose that attitude! I know you love Uncle Scott! Deep deep deep down!"
".....Ugh! Fine! But promise you'll pick me up straight after work on Christmas day, okay!!!"
"I promise!"

-time skip-
December 24th

It's Christmas eve, all who believe
Santa is here, but once a year.

It was Christmas eve and I stared out of the window in my dad's car as we pulled up to my uncle Scott's house. He was late getting home as usual 🙄. But his car pulled up behind ours. And Laura's car was there to. So she already dropped of Charlie. And I could see the back of someone's head in Laura's car. It was Neal, Laura's new husband. Oh! And I forgot to mention! Scott and Laura got divorced but Charlie comes to visit often. Laura saw me get out of my car and heave my heavy bag to the front door.
"Hey y/n! Staying with Scott to are ya?" She asked me.
"Yeah!"
"Well! You can keep Charlie company! That's for sure!"
I nodded in agreement and looked back at her car to see Neal waving at me. I waved back, trying not to be rude.
Then, my Uncle Scott hastily got out of his car, came over, and gave me an awkward hug.
"Hey y/n!....Laura! Charlie!! Hey buddy!" Scott said giving Charlie a hug.
My dad already left since he had work to do.
Scott opened the front door and we all stepped inside. Charlie carried his bags in and I carried mine in.
"Make yourself at home kids!" Scott said.
"We only staying for one night..." I heard Charlie mutter. I felt sorry for Charlie, he wanted Scott and his mum to not fight for once! I did aswell.
"You excited for santa to come, Charlie?" I asked him.
The brown eyed boy stared up at me with a confused look on his little face.
"Santa isn't real!" He said with confidence.
"What?? What are you talking about?? of course he's real!" I reassured him. Uncle Scott heard our conversation form the hallway.
He ignored it.
"Sooo Laura...going to your mother's?" He asked her.
"Actually Scott....we're spending Christmas with Neal's family!" She replied.
"Oh right!....Christmas at the pound!" Scott retaliated and made animal noises while he strode into the kitchen.
Me and Charlie were sat in the living room on the black leather couch.
"Want some hot chocolate?" I asked him.
"No thanks!"
I got up and went to make one for myself.
I came into the kitchen and saw Scott and Laura....fighting?!?! Not again!
"Hey! Y/n!" Scott said.
"Hey um....Charlie's not speaking to me that much!.....and he says Santa isn't real!"
"Oh god! What did Neal tell him??" Scott said.
"Nothing! Look....Charlie came home the other day in tears because some big kid told him there was no such thing as Santa clause! So...Neal sat him down and....well....gave him the talk!"
"The talk?!?! If we're gonna ruin our sons illusions, I wanna at least be part of it!" Scott snapped back.
"Guys! Don't fight! Why do you always have to fight??" Charlie piped up. We all looked at him with sympathetic expressions. I ushered Charlie out of the room and kneeled down so I was eye view with him. "Charlie! Listen to me, okay! We are gonna have so much fun tonight! Then Scott will read us the night before christmas before we go to bed! Just like he used to! I promise!" Charlie pulled me into a hug and he never let go until a few minutes later.

-time skip-
It was time for Laura to go and Charlie gave her a massive hug!
"Do I gotta stay?" He said looking disappointed.
"Yeah! But I promise I'll pick you up tomorrow!"
"Dawn?"
"Sure!"
And with that Laura went out the door, got in the car with Neal, and off they drove.....
The night....just kept getting worst.....Uncle Scott burned the turkey, we had to search all around town for a place to eat but we ended up eating at Denny's. Yep, you guessed it! Denny's. They didn't even have much food at all.

What a looooooong Christmas this will be!