chapter 6= Principal Newman

Y/n's POV

Me and my uncle made it to Charlie's school, and we were both met with Laura and Niel in the hallway.
"Scott! Hey! You trimmed your beard!" Laura said, embracing my uncle.
"Y/n! Hey! You've grown!" Laura complimented.
"Nah! Elves don't age!" I stated matter-of-factly.
"Come here, big guy," Niel said, opening his arms. I joined in the group hug, and Niel pulled away and said, "Whoa. Lost some weight there, huh? Slim fast?"
"You don't know how fast!" I stated as my eyes widened.
"Oh! Y/n! How's...'The Big B'?" Laura asked, nudging my shoulder and winking.
"Oh! Bernard? Yeah! He's fine! Still magical!" I said, a twinkle shining in my eyes.
"We should get going!" Laura said, ushering my uncle and I down the hall.
"Oh, okay!" My uncle said, placing a hand on my back. We walked down the hall, and Laura turned to my uncle and I and said, "How do you two always know when there's a problem?"
"Well, I see you when you're sleeping! I know when you're awake!" My uncle said.
"Which is a pretty frightening concept when you think about it!" Niel stated. I chuckled.
"We're really worried about Charlie," Laura began. "He keeps upping the ante. This time, he defaced school property!"
"Yeesh!" I said, widening my eyes.
"It's classic acting out!" Niel says.
"Easy for you say!" I say. "I think I said that right!" I muttered to myself.
"I'm blaming myself for this! We're both his parents! Where is he?" Sant- no...in this case, Scott asked Laura.
"He's waiting for us in Principal Newmans office!" She answered.
"You know, something about her makes me want to deface school property - hey!" Scott said, putting a smile on his face as Principal Newman came up to us.
"Hello, Mr. Calvin, Laura, Niel, Y/n!"
"Hello, Principal Newman!" I said, faking a smile.
"Principal Newman!" Scott said, saluting her.
"I haven't seen you since the last time Charlie was in trouble!" Principal Newman stated.
"Well, I've been travelling for work with y/n!"
"Oh. Well, maybe if you spent more time with your son, there would be fewer problems!" Principal Newman suggested sarcastically.
My eyes started to twitch, but I shook it off. She was horrible! So, I decided to speak up. "Then, my Uncle Scott wouldn't spend so much time with you, which is always a pleasure!" ....I'm starting to think sarcasm is my new favourite thing.
"Oh. A battle of wits. It's a shame your niece comes unarmed. Please excuse me!" She walked through us, and I mouthed."Ouch..."
She approached a student who was riding a skateboard down the hallway
"Good morning, Principal Newman." He said nervously.
She took the skateboard and almost threw it to the side.
"Mr. Picardo, I want you to look into my eyes. What do you see?" She asked the boy.
"It's dark...and it's cold!" The boy replied, drawing back slightly.
"It's your future, Mr. Picardo! Keep thus up and you will spend the rest of your life stabbing trash by the highway! Do I make myself clear?" She taunted me with that attitude, I hated it!
"Yes!" The boy replied.
"So, what are you gonna do?" She asked.
"I'm going straight to geometry!"
"Have a nice trip!" She said as the boy held his skateboard and walked down the hall.

We all came into the office and saw Charlie, all grown up, sat in the chair opposite Newman and Laura and Niel sat either side of him.
"It's an affront to authority and blatant disrespect to property! If this continues, I'll have no other choice other than to suspend-!" Newman said. My uncle interrupted, "Excuse me. Is there a rest stop between here and the end of the lecture? I'm more interested in how this happened in the first place!"
"So am I. Charlie, we're all worried about you," Newman said, leaning forward.
"It feels like you're trying to get someone's attention."
"What's bothering ya, bud?" I piped up, placing a comforting hand on my cousins shoulder.
Charlie shrugged.
"Dr. Miller?" Newman said, turning to Niel
"Niel!" He corrected.
"Niel, any theories?" Newman asked.
"And here we go." I muttered.
"Well, frankly, I have several!" Niel said.
I rolled my eyes and my uncle groaned and said, "Here we go. Let's just order a pizza!"
"Scott, you're not helping!" Laura said.
Then, Niel began, "I was watching this tape series on child development last night-!" He was cut off by the sound of my uncle banging his head on the filing cabinet and me banging my hand on it in synchronisation.
"You know what the problem is? Excuse me, Niel," I piped up. "It's four weeks until Christmas! Oh-...that's a major holiday in December, Principal Newman!" I educated her.
"My niece's boyfriend LOVES Christmas!" My uncle said.
"Yeah, Bernard loves it! And , if he came to THIS school....he would run away scared! Have you noticed the hallways? Not a decoration, not a twinkle light, nada!" I explained, frowning.
"Not an expression of the joy kids are supposed to be feeling!" Scott finished.
"What kind of school is this?" I asked, faking curiosity.
"A public school," Newman said. My uncle and I pretended to nod and looked at the medals framed on the walls.
"A top-rated public school. That takes effort. And money. Spending any of that money on holiday decorations would take away from the things that truly matter." Newman finished.
"Forgive me, but I think holiday cheer really matters!" Scott said.
I noticed Charlie smirk to himself and I smiled.
"What are we going to do? Charlie, we are all really worried about-" Laura began. But my uncle cut in
"Let me handle this. You know what ya did is wrong. Right?"
"I guess so." Charlie said quickly.
"There's no guessing. Guess- guessing is gone! It was wrong what you did and you won't do it again!" Scott said, pointing a finger.
"Okay!" Charlie replied.
"There ya go! He's good to his word! He won't do it again! Meeting is adjourned!" Scott said, starting to walk out of the office and Charlie quickly stood up and walked out.
"It most certainly is not! Charlie!" Newman called. I was about to walk out but turned and said.
"Oh! And, one more thing!...here's a small donation...go buy yourself a wreath!" I said, placing £10 on her desk.
Charlie fist bumped me as I came out of the office with Laura and Niel following close behind.
I wonder how Bernard and Curtis are doing...