Don't worry, I'm here. (Naib Subedar x Reader oneshot)

Warnings: Descriptions and mentions of injury, Kidnapping, knives, bombs, and fire. + reader ends up in the hospital

Story type: Angst with a fluffy ending

Pairings: Mr. Inference (Naib Subedar) x Gender neutral reader, White (Eli Clark), Lady truth (Emma Woods)

(Hehehe angst writing time folks, i've been obsessed with truth and inference recently.)

You coughed as ash filled your lungs and your eyes blurred with tears

You coughed as ash filled your lungs and your eyes blurred with tears. So this was it huh? This is the end? You weakly struggled against the ropes restraining you against the chair you were stuck on. Trying to expend the last of your energy to get out. This wasn't what you wanted, how did this even happen..? All you remember was going out to get groceries and snacks for the detective agency and then you suddenly ended up in a abandoned building tied up to a chair. The back of your head burning as if you had been hit over it. There was a tall figure in the shadows of the building, setting up some sort of mechanism. Mumbling something about how this will please someone named D.M. and be quite the shock to your lover Inference. After setting up the mechanism the figure walked towards you. You couldn't make out their features other then they had brown hair and wore a mask. Most likely to conceal their identity so they wouldn't get caught if you survived this. "Alright I'll make this quick, answer my questions about the Orpheus detective agency and I'll let you go. If you don't, I'll have to waste time hurting you." The figure spoke out pulling out what seems to be a knife. Though you would normally prioritize your safety first, this is the organization Naib is working for. They've been in cahoots with a person called D.M. and this person could very easily be working with him. Plus any confidential information you would leak could put millions of lives in danger, so you held your tongue on saying anything. The figure scoffed adjusting the grip on their knife. "Fine, I guess we have to do this the hard way." They said as they walked closer to you.

Inference took his pipe out of his mouth and exhaled. He was finally done with today's workload. Though he'd usually have to work later, white and lady truth had finished their work and offered to help him out. Inference stood up from the couch in their lobby, needing to move around after sitting down for hours. He soon heard the sound of wings flapping and the hoots of a owl, it wasn't nighttime so it was odd for brooke rose to be awake. But inference guessed white was just playing with her. Until he heard two concerned voices behind a door, both whites and lady truths. Naib walked over too the door and put his ear against it to listen into the conversation. "It's like... She's trying to show us something. Or make us go somewhere." He heard white say in a worried tone. "I have a really bad feeling about this truth, we need to follow her." Truth nodded and said "agreed, let me go get inference first though." As she walked towards the door Naib opened the door, "No need, I was listening in. Let's go." Truth stumbled back a bit in surprise but a smile quickly came onto her face at the sight of one of her longtime crime solving partners ready to do whatever he has too. "Alright then, let's get going and see what Whites owl has to show us." Brooke flew off of Eli's shoulder and started hooting as she flew out of the window. The 3 detectives quickly running out of the building and keeping track of her in the sky to find where she wanted to go.

Your body shook as you coughed out blood, red all over your clothes. Whoever this was didn't hold back at all, there were knife wounds everywhere except in fatal locations such as the heart or neck. "All of this could've been avoided if you just gave up the information. Are you hoping that someone will come to save you? Pfft, pathetic. No one's coming." The figure said as they put the knife away and stepped away from you, turning to the mechanism they had set up earlier. Soon a buzzing sound filled the room along with a strange beeping, the figure quickly ran out of the room leaving behind nothing. You strained your neck to try and see more of the mechanism but then realization dawned on you. It was a bomb. Not a second later all your senses were overwhelmed by a loud bang and bright flash of light. Your ears rang as you tried to force your eyes open, your nose catching onto the scent of burning wood. Your eyes opened to a sea of fire slowly making its way too you and spreading elsewhere in this abandoned house. You panicked as you tried to desperately get out of the chair you were bounded too, the ropes tight against your wrists, torso, neck, and legs. No matter how much you struggled though it was hopeless. You got weaker and weaker as your lungs filled with ash.... This was it. You closed your eyes as they filled with tears. Emma.. Eli... Naib.. they're never gonna see you again. All the people you care for.. you muttered a weak "I'm sorry" as you slumped on the chair. You'd rather die to bleeding out then to burning to death. As your conciseness faded you could hear.. something. Footsteps? You barely heard it but you could tell they were getting closer. Was it the person who kidnapped you? Why are they still here? You sighed as you opened your eyes again, barely able to keep them open to stare at the door that was set ablaze. One loud thud later and the door crumbled Infront of you a few seconds later revealing a figure behind it. They seemed.. familiar. "Oh my God- Y/n!" They shouted as they ran towards you. As the figure got closer to you, you slowly recognized who it was. The man in the familiar detective uniform started quickly un-doing the ropes keeping you bound to the chair. "Naib...?" You weakly said. "Yes, it's me. Don't worry, I'm here." His gruff voice responded, trying to breathe through the ashy air as he continued working on untying your ropes. You soon felt the pressure on your body disappear as you slumped foward, Inference quickly catching you in his arms. "Shit, stay with me y/n. I'll get you out of here. I promise." Inference said as he stood up, carrying you and starting to run out of the burning building.

You grunted as you felt a ping of pain in your head and slowly opened your eyes too a hospital room. Both a Iv and a bloodbag stuck into your arm through needles. Though all your injuries has been bandaged up your body still ached. You soon heard a knock at the hospital door and one of the nurses walked in, saying someone had come to visit you. She stepped out of the doorway and Inference stepped into the room, staring at you with worry in his eyes. This is one of the first times you've seen your usually cold partner this worried. "Hey.. you okay?" You heard him ask as he sat beside your bed slowly reaching out to hold your hand. You let out a small mhm and intertwined his fingers with yours. "Your hands are warm.. you know?" You said as you attempted to sit up, your body suddenly was wracked in pain. Inference quickly but gently laid you back down on the bed saying "don't sit up, you're still recovering. It'll be awhile till you're up and moving again." Time passed as Inference explained everything to you, they weren't able to catch whoever kidnapped you and started the fire but Brooke rose had been flying over the road when you had gotten kidnapped. She trailed the kidnapped and once she got your location flew back to Eli to try and get his and lady truths attention. Though they couldn't catch the culprit they were able to salvage some evidence from the crime scene such as burnt clothes that had some traces of DNA still on them and could use that to start investigations. "That's good.. I'm glad." You smiled as Inference pecked your lips and continued holding your hand. "I'm just glad you're safe... I was so worried when you passed out. Worried that I didn't make it in time... Worried that you would die before we made it too the hospital... But.. you're okay now." You smiled at inference, "Thank you Naib. You saved me, I love you so much." Despite his previous warnings and the pain sitting up caused you, you sat up and started kissing inference all over his face. His face flushed as he pushed you back down, earning a giggle from you. No matter what fate one of you would face, you two would defy it together till the very end.