Ch. 1: Good Boys Alwats Prepare Fot the Worst

Let me tell y'all something, folks. When it comes to arrogant football jocks who like to make your life a living nightmare, it's best to walk away and not cause any trouble with them. And when it comes to these football players from Andrews-Carter High (Go Titans, or not depending on if you like a football team with a horrible losing streak), they like to make my particular life a living hell- always coming in from practice or a football game and harassing me at Shona's Diner, taking my lunch and making me watch them eat it all in front of me, or making me do their homework.

And what do I do?

Give them what they want and avoid all the drama of being beaten up or worse.

Of course, that never sat well with my father (the former running back of Andrews-Carter High, class of 1988) as he and Mom (class of 1989) would insist that I try out for the football team to make friends with them or at least learn to walk a mile in their shoes. But with my asthma attacks and my "good-boy" persona that Grandma Druscilla loves me for having, you already know that I was the only pariah to not like sports and to be the ire of all the coaches there.

And as I came from a long day of work and my dry run of getting ready for senior year with my hair covered in milkshakes and a busted lip, I had a feeling that my day was bound to go from bad to worse.

"You look like you've been through hell," my one-year-younger sister Tiana commented dryly upon greeting me at the front door, her twin sister Fiana shaking her head in dismay. "The football team?"

"The football team," I sighed, coming inside and taking my shoes off at the foyer. "Where's Mom and Dad?"

"In the living room with Grandma Dru," Fiana commented. "Uncle Cameron and Mi'Chelle are also here alongside some lady from Boston. We're waiting for you."

I groaned inwardly, already hating this afternoon since Uncle Cameron was always picking at me for being so skinny and pathetic-looking (his exact words) while his daughter Mi'Chelle was nothing more than a promiscuous skank-ass hoe and accused me of being gay (something that I know my parents would never accept even though Grandma Dru would). At one point during middle school, I had to be their manservant while being left behind in Dallas for the entire summer. I swore up and down to never stay in their lavish home full of sin and perdition.

Anyway, back to the story in progress.

After changing into some comfortable clothes, I headed downstairs to the living room and was greeted by the entire family: Mom and Dad (the darlings of school back in their day), Fiana and Tiana (the current co-captains of the cheerleading squad over at Barrow South High- go Falcons), Grandma Druscilla (The only woman who loved me for me, though she hated being here on the sight of my family), Uncle Cameron Sinclair and his daughter (the latter being the dance team captain of Fort Walton High- go Rams) with them giving me leery glances to make me their slave (no way in hell), and a statuesque older woman with the skin of caramel with her hair in an elegant French bun.

"Ah, son," Dad said. "Long day at the office?"

He always said that since he knew that I wouldn't want to be working at his law firm. "I had longer," I replied, sitting next to Grandma as she squeezed my hands.