Ch. 40: The Calm before the Storm

Thierry's POV

They say that there's nothing worse than a couple whose relationship feels like it's at the end of the line- whether it's when one is feeling distant or moody towards the other, rumors of infidelity, insecurity issues, or even the lack of trust in a relationship.

In my case, even as I go through the motions of being a star student and incoming Luna while pregnant, the feeling of a relationship that's on the rocks is ten times worse, especially when it comes to my two mates suddenly pushing me further and further away. And after they learned that I was carrying their pups, it's like they're just planning for the end times.

"Luna Lemieux," commented the sandy-haired Gamma warrior named Jean as I looked up for my lunch. "Are you feeling all right?"

I sighed heavily, slowly losing my appetite. "To be honest, no. I'm not all right," I answered honestly. "Jean, you know that my mates- your Alpha Matt and Sir Luciane- are currently chatting with various Alphas across town and the commonwealth of Massachusetts about the incoming war, right?"

The warrior nodded slowly. "Luna, if you feel like Sir Moranox and Alpha Matt are growing cold by the day with your position and condition, I assure you that you have nothing to fear at all," he commented, though he has a look of unease in his eyes and his voice was unconvinced as if he knew something. "But I do admit that the young men in question need to start being more attentive to you."

"And that's what I'm afraid of," I replied, sighing heavily just as I caught a glimpse of Velvet arriving at my table. And judging by her all-black ensemble, she was all serious. "What's the news, Velvet Cremme?"

The drag queen witch gave me a sad look. "It's not looking too good, Thierry," she said morosely. "If anything, you might have no other choice but to expect the worst."

I was afraid she would say something like that, folks. Really, I was. "What happened this time?"

"Well, the old-time mages, emissaries, and sages of the surrounding town have gathered with us back at the Red Rose and they all confirmed the same thing," Velvet replied formally. "Thierry Lemieux, it looks like your time of the big sacrifice will be fulfilled and it's going to cost you big-time after a nasty act of betrayal."

MY eyes widened, slowly looking down at my still-flat stomach. "Please," I whimpered, my eyes getting misty. "You don't mean that-"

Velvet saw my look of distress, her face full of sorrow as she clutched my hand while Mama Andretta came over (she must've overheard the conversation) with tissues and a cup of tea. "Oh, my Lordy," the older woman said sadly. "Luna Lemieux, you can't think these things. Maybe there might not be something as drastic as losing your pups. If your men know what's good for them, they won't let that happen at all."

"But that's the thing," I said, a sob forming in my throat as tears began to seep from my eyes. "I'm afraid that my mates are going to leave me in the cold and find some solace in a female mate to stop the war. Worst-case scenario, they'll leave me for my sisters and Mi'Chelle, who will no doubt find my suffering amusing before they give me the axe."

"Oh, Thierry," said Velvet. "I didn't mean to make you this upset. This prophecy, though-"