▫️Two

Ginelle's pov

I had everything set.

Lora had already texted me on what I was supposed to do in her absence, ranging from managing the registers, coordinating the other workers and handling a delivery. It didn't look difficult but it was a little bit much for me.

I didn't handle well being the center of attention especially around peers, my confidence wasn't the greatest not to mention how I struggled to form words when approaching new people.

So far all was well, we'd cleaned the bookstore and dusted off the shelves. I had assigned various people to check across all sections to ensure that all books were in their right genres.

No one was giving me a hard time though I wished Jordan would be here. He was the only workmate I was used to apart from Lora and we were great friends. He had called earlier this morning informing me of an urgent matter he had to tend to back home.

I cross-checked the stock records once again as I sat at the register counter flipping through the massive book. It was only noon and there were already a number of customers. Most of them were parents and students buying books for the new academic year.

I had stuttered twice when wrapping up books for two of my customers today but the sweets in my bag had helped a lot. The sugar really made me feel at ease and more collected thus my bag never ran short of those.

The wall clock on the left struck one and I knew who to expect when the door softly chimed. Leila. Her auburn hair flowed behind her from the wind that blew outside, almost covering her entire face.

"Girl, still holding up?" Leila's not so quiet voice filled the deafness of the room but I pinched her arm as I led her into a small store room behind the registers. There were hardly any people at the store at this time of the day but I told someone to checkout.

"Don't you have work?" I asked Leila when she plopped on the small coach by the corner where a pile of boxes stood. Being a Tuesday, I knew that her company, Perth Media, was swamped with a lot of activities.

"Louis let me off," she rolled her eyes chewing some gum as she waved her pretty hands at me. Her nails were painted in a bright white polish that matched well with her black dress that framed her figure quite well. I had a pretty friend.

"Really?" I eyed her as she sank deeper into the couch closing her eyes for a second. Louis was infact her boss as his father owned the company. I had met Louis through Leila a number of times where the two claimed to be friends but I don't think that was the case.

"Yeah, he sent his regards by the way." I walked away from the door where I'd been standing incase someone came up to check out a book. I didn't know bosses gave their workers random breaks unless their company's terms of service was that lenient.

"What's in that bag anyway," I took the black bag on the table and hastily unwrapped it to see a flask. I peeked at her then opened further. If it was food, I'd be very much surprised because with her appetite it was far from possible.

"Drink up all that soup, your coughs are getting worse." I grimaced at her words but felt grateful at her actions. She had checked up on me severally after picking me up two days ago in the rain. I had stayed in her apartment for those days under her 'care'. Apparently Perth Media offered accommodation to all their staff so I no longer lived with Leila.