▫️Thirty-two

Ginelle's pov

"Elle dear, Leila's here to see you." Lora peeked her head through the back door where Jo and I were unboxing some books that had arrived today.

"Again?" Jo sighed beside me and I tried not to react. Leila had just been here this morning to drop me off and again at noon to bring my lunch.

It was not even two hours since then and now she was back. I was grateful of her kind gestures but right now I could agree with Jo that she was being too much.

"You know she's not leaving till you see her," Lora chirped before closing the door on us. I gave Jo an apologetic smile since he had to do the rest of the work alone.

I loosened my hair from its bun, marching my way towards my overprotective friend. She was staring at the patterns on the floor, her feet tapping through the boxed tiles.

Leila looked up in fright and suddenly stood up when I tapped her shoulder. She tugged the ends of her watch before passing me a strange smile.

"Are you so idle today?" I pretended to sound offended as I crossed my arms over my chest. She just looked back at me, which wasn't her usual reaction.

The Leila I knew would sass me back. My eyes furrowed when I took a closer look at her. "You look startled, did Louis do something?"

Leila was quiet again but she sat down on the stool, her eyes leaving mine. "I-I have a terrible headache," she clutched her head and closed her eyes as if in pain.

"Did you take the tablets?" I asked as I reached for my pockets to check whether I had any left. Leila had been complaining of her headache all week.

"I took them all, it just doesn't seem to help." She continued to hold her head and I could just imagine the pain she was feeling.

"Actually, I wanted to ask you to accompany me for a check-up." She asked so quietly as if I was the sick one, her face so pleading.

"Do you want to do it now?" She nodded immediately and I looked at her for a moment before leaving to take my purse from the counter behind her.

Of course her health came first.

I briefed Lora about Leila's condition before I rushed back to my friend. I didn't want her to hold in the pain any longer when I could easily help her.

"Let's go," I helped her up and we took a taxi to the nearest hospital. I had suggested going to a clinic but Leila was more comfortable with an hospital so I respected her choice.

I signed a form at the entrance before looking around the hospital wings for a consultation office. The place was just so huge and I was trying to get Leila treated as fast as possible.

"That way," Leila pointed to the right of the hallway we were standing on and I led us to that direction. Strangely, no one was in sight.

"I need to see someone," she mumbled while pointing towards the elevator. Thinking of it now, Louis would have brought her here had he known.

It had to be Louis, I didn't think of what he'd be doing in a hospital.

I went by her directions and soon we came to yet another hallway. This one had nurses and doctors running back and forth, large files in their hands.

Leila turned us to a door straight ahead. At the far end, Louis was pacing back and forth, his hands in his pockets. Upon seeing us, he ran towards us.

I suddenly stood still, a strong sensation cutting through my chest. It wasn't just because Louis was standing in front of the surgery room.