▫️ Thirty-one

Ginelle's pov

I was already tired even when it was only ten in the morning. I didn't have the energy to do anything, I didn't want to do anything either.

The days were stretching out so slowly even when it had only been a week or perhaps I was the impatient one, as I lazily looked at the calendar.

Seven days had just ended today. I would cross every past day with a red marker, my heart growing heavier each time I thought of what could be happening to Grey.

There was never a second when I didn't think of him, the ring on my finger a reminder that he was gone. I continued to fiddle with the moon imprinted there, wishing so loudly I could see the man behind this image.

The first day since his departure had been so painful. It didn't hurt any less now but I could say I was holding up. I was still struggling but at least I had faith.

I remember excitedly waking up to check my good morning note from him the next day only for tears to pool into my eyes when I seemed to catch on. There wasn't going to be any for quite some time.

The thought made me lose sleep for majority of the first days. I would just lay in bed, so many scenarios going through my head. My appetite was lacking too, my taste buds not desiring any food.

The girls had tried to cheer me up, Leila would visit me severally, Mayella would tell me endless stories of school, Lora had even given me an half day off this week but it just wasn't the same.

I was struggling, even when their efforts did nothing to cheer me out of this phase, I still wanted to appreciate them. Today I was meeting Clarissa, the girl who had helped me out that time at the airport.

I wanted to appear cheerful, become her friend, but the enthusiasm was no longer there. My phone vibrated and I slowly unlocked to read the messages, knowing there would be none from him.

There were three messages from Lora, Leila and Reece. I opened Lora's first, she was checking up on me, asking how I was holding up. I replied with a forced cheery message before checking Leila's.

She was asking me to get ready since we would be meeting Clarissa together and she was already on the way. I send two neutral faced emojis, slightly being honest with how I was feeling.

Lastly I checked Reece's message, he had been regularly checking up on me since Grey left and I appreciated his efforts.

He would at times show up with my favorite snack as he picked Mayella from the book store where she got dropped from school.

Mayella and Dalton's friendship was so strong now, the two even went home together. I loved seeing them but I'd feel so jealous to see them exchange hugs so easily.

I half-heartedly opened Reece's text to see that he had send a video. I blinked twice to get rid of the dizziness in my head, having just woken up, when I saw Grey's face.

I quickly sat up and lifted the phone closer to my face as I played the video. Grey was in his military uniform, he was wearing some sort of head gear and I could see a rifle peeking from his back.

His face was a bit blurred though I saw a cut on his arm that was recently bandaged. I worried my lip to look for any other injuries but there appeared to be none.

I couldn't see his left fingers since his hands were gloved so I couldn't tell if the burn on his thumb was doing fine. I stared at the screen for a while till the video ended.

It was then I realized that he had been talking and I quickly un-muted my phone. He was talking to someone and after listening to the conversation, I figured it was his commander.