▫️Fifteen

Grey's pov

The afternoon was bustling with laughter and the clunking of plates round the massive table. The Williams had invited Nana and I for a small reunion to catch up on the long time we had been apart.

"Isn't it lovely to have the boys here?" Rosie, Reece's mom smiled down at Nana who was seated on the opposite side with Mayella beside her.

"They're always busy," Nana looked over to my side as if to scold me but I pretended to busy myself in cutting down some steak.

"Just a little bit busy," Reece joined the conversation with Nana, passing her one of his wide smiles.

"Nana," Mayella softly pulled her arm to get her attention. The adult talk must have bored her as she'd been quiet the whole time.

"Yes, sweetie?" Nana turned to her, slightly adjusting Mayella from the high chairs. She was almost falling off but the girl didn't want to seat on her smaller one anymore.

"I made a new friend!" She squealed that the whole table turned to her and I could see Williams face turned into a scowl.

"What is their name? Are they pretty?" Nana asked in equal enthusiasm that you'd mistake her for a teenager.

"It's a boy," she paused first and Nana's eyes seemed to widen. She had even dropped her spoon to listen. "His name is Dalton and I like him a lot." Her hands were spread out above her head expressing how much she liked the boy.

"Really!" Nana blinked and smiled as Mayella nodded vehemently. "So is he your boyfriend?" She asked next and it reminded me of the time I first met Dalton.

I had planned to visit the bookstore with the excuse of buying Mayella a drawing book. What else could I pretend to do there if not just seeing her?

Then the sight of her holding hands with a man as they crossed the street burned the insides of my heart that I felt a murderous feeling take over me.

Her soft smile seemed to shine even brighter as she ran up to meet a young boy. Their interaction had been so natural that I had assumed he was her son and the man with her was perhaps the father.

That thought alone crushed the hope I had been holding for the last couple of days. She looked so young and beautiful for me to let go that easily thus I ended up asking the same question.

Is he your boyfriend?

Unlike me who had been tense as I waited the answer, Mayella quickly nodded. Reece snickered beside me as he stuffed himself with more food.

"Nana, Masha too has a girlfriend." Every eye on the table shot up to me and Reece began to cough, having choked as he took large gulps of water.

No one spoke for an entire minute as Rosie opened and closed her mouth not believing whereas Mayella smiled sweetly at me.

"Oh Gris, when were you ever planning to tell us?" Nana pretended to sound annoyed and Rosie too looked astonished as she looked at me.

Somebody needed to explain to Mayella what this boy-girl relationship was really about.

"Elle is so pretty," Mayella spared no details, giving them all to Nana and Rosie. Williams gave me a playful look but I chose to ignore it.