▫️ Thirty-six

Grey's pov

I was in a daze.

My eyes followed Ginelle's beautiful frame as she rushed back into the house to get Nana something she had requested.

She was barefooted and I looked around me to find her slippers abandoned just a few steps from where she'd been sitting on the grass as she narrated a story to the kids.

Kids; Mayella and Dalton

I switched my train of thought so quick and instead watched her re-appear, two glasses in her hands and her usual smile on as she poured Lora some juice.

I watched her laugh to something they were saying and in the midst of it, her head lifted and her eyes met mine over the distance.

She passed me one of those sweet smiles of hers and I couldn't deny that my heart did a major flip. I continued to just stare at her, returning to the daze I had previously fallen into.

She was so carefree in my house; she now seemed to know where everything was and I couldn't want it any other way.

Everything here was hers, I had insisted this during our first week when she appeared hesitant and would always ask for my permission before she touched anything. 

We had grown out of that phase in the days that followed, her stuff filling every corner of my house.

I was very much content with our living arrangements at the moment, she had been staying with me since my time at the hospital; taking care of me.

At times I thought too hard, I couldn't seem to believe that she was there beside me to help me heal. She would make sure I had my meals on time and took all the necessary medicine.

In as much as this situation was a serious one, deep down I was flaunting over all the attention she gave me.

I loved it so much when she kissed me goodnight, her fingers running through my hair as she mumbled about me getting better quickly.

I was only partly aware of these moments because I would get sleepy each time I ate and later took my medicine.

My body had been weak during the first few days but now I could stay awake for an hour longer as I listened to her lovely childhood stories.

These were the best days of my life and I just couldn't hold back from thinking of having this forever. I knew I wanted this dose of sunshine with me.

My cute girlfriend skipped over towards me, her hair bouncing behind her as she swung her small hands to and from.

Smiling in return, I lifted my arms to receive her as she hugged my head onto her tummy.

"Did you finish talking to Reece?" She asked softly and I nodded my head into her abdomen wanting to sink into the warmth of her skin.

Reece had briefed me about what was going on at work. He had told me that the brigade commander had allowed me stay home for another two weeks so I just needed to rest.

I got to learn that some of my injured comrades had recovered, a few still under treatment as the rest asked of checking on me.

Reece had handled the situation well, he had assured them all that I would be back soon. In all honesty I only wanted Ginelle's attention.

"I just checked on Mayella and Dalton," she ruffled my hair making me sigh as I closed my eyes, nuzzling more into her.

These two had fallen asleep to the story Elle had been narrating earlier. It was funny how one minute they were laughing and the next snoring softly.