▫️Twenty-two

Ginelle's pov

"When is Mayella going to come?" Dalton tugged my arm for the eighth time this afternoon after occasionally checking the gate in vain. My reply remained the same though he continued to ask.

"She'll be here soon," I assured him after checking my phone. I had send our current address to Grey some hours ago and he had affirmed that they would be attending Dalton's birthday party.

So far his classmates had arrived but I could see that Dalton was still not content. I dialled Grey's number as I walked further away from the lawn where the children were playing.

Leila and Louis just came in then and I waved as I pressed the phone to my right ear. They moved over to join Jo who was now helping Lora set everything up.

"Hello Grey," I greeted as soon as the call went through. My voice didn't come out as firm as I had intended it to. Instead, it was breathless and squeaky.

"Tulip," I pressed my lips together to suppress a smile. He hadn't even said anything yet I was already grinning. At least there wasn't anyone around to see me.

"You're still coming?" I hesitantly asked picking out a leaf from a lowly hanging branch. He could probably be busy with work though my body deflated in relief when hummed deeply.

"Everything's fine?" He cleared his throat before asking and I knew he wasn't typically asking about the present. During the week, Grey had constantly checked on me and it was endearing how he was worried over such a simple matter.

I was used to how unbearable stomach cramps were by now.

"Yes, I'm okay now." He breathed out and before we could talk further, Jo called me from the back. He pointed towards the kids who had began running up and down.

"Who's that?" Grey asked just as I nodded at Jo. It wasn't easy to have children settled easily so we'd have to start the party soon. The tenseness of Grey's tone brought my attention back to him.

"Jordan, you've met him." He didn't acknowledge my words so I continued. "He works at Lora's bookstore too." The line went quiet but I didn't give it much thought.

The kids had began to tap on the table as if they were playing a drum so I quickly ended the call. "We shall talk soon?" The sound of traffic could be heard on his side so I knew he was on the way.

"Yeah, talk soon." There seemed to be an underlying message in his words though I chose to deal with that later. I rushed towards Dalton who was talking to a blonde boy.

"Is Maya really coming?" The boy who Dal introduced as Jace asked and I smiled to myself. Someone had bragged to his friends about their new friend.

"Yes, she's almost here." I guided them towards their seats alongside with everyone else. Leila and I helped the kids into their seats as Louis, Jordan and Lora brought everything else to the table.

"Let's begin now," Lora smiles at us all after introducing herself and the kids clap excitedly. Most of them are eyeing the large cake that stays at the center of the large round table.

"Wait!" Dalton rushed out of his seat once he heard voices on the opposite side of the house. Nobody stopped him when we saw the familiar approaching figures.

Mayella, Enzo and Grey.

Dalton races towards Mayella and wraps his arms around her shoulder. I awe at them for a moment before my eyes fleet to the men behind them, more specifically to the one on the left.

The man with striking grey eyes.

We lock eyes over the distance and I blush profusely once I see a small smile play over his lips. Our moment is however cut short when Louis speaks, "Which one is he?"