The Start of It All

It was a rainy, brisk morning in October in Seattle, Washington, a good 56 degrees Fahrenheit, Amelia walks into Seattle Grace kind of out of it after the fight she had with Link last night. As soon as she walks into the hospital she straightens her posture and goes into the locker room to change into her scrubs.

"I can't believe that happened with Link last night" She says to herself whilst straightening out the collar of her lab coat when there's a knock at the door. It's April.

"Hey Shep! You ready for your first patient today?" April asks her happily.

"Yes, as ready as I'll ever be" Amelia says a little confused on why April is so happy. Just April being April I guess. She walks out of the locker room and down to the ER. "Who's our first patient, Kepner?"

"Gracie Newton, age 14. She has surgery for a brain tumor today. She's been vomiting and-"

"Ah yes, little G. I remember her from when I did surgery on her twin sister a few summers back" She walks to the girl who is super pale looking like she might throw up again with her parents and brother and sisters beside her.

"Look Gwen. It's Dr Shepherd!" The tall blonde women says.

"Hi, Dr Shepherd"

"Hello big G, hi Logan" Amelia always called Gwen, big G and Gracie, little G since Gwen was always an inch taller than her twin sister. She sees the little girl that the blonde is holding. "Oh and who's this little one?" Amelia asks with a smile.

"This is Avery" The blonde had said.

"Hello little one" She says to the little girl whilst tickling her making the little girl giggle. Amelia smiles at the girls giggle. "Okay, so I'll be doing Gracie's surgery. You guys shouldn't have to be in the waiting room too long."

"Thank you Dr Shepherd" The blonde male says.

*****************

Once Amelia finishes Gracie's surgery she walks to the waiting room to update the family as Gracie is being rolled to the ICU by nurses.

Heather, Gracie, Gwen, Logan and Avery's mom's face lights up with pure joy when she sees Amelia as she stands up along with her husband Leo.

"So...how's Gracie?" Leo asked.

"She did and is doing great! No complications. She's just in the ICU if you want to go see her."

Heather's eyes fill up with tears of joy as Gwen and Logan's faces light up. "Thank you so so much Dr Shepherd, for everything you do" She says hugging her.

"No problem" Amelia says. "Just doing my job" She smiles softly as the rest of the family hugs her tightly.

She hears her pager beeping. "Okay, okay guys I have to go"

The family backs up as Amelia runs off to the trauma in the ER. There was a pile up just minutes from the hospital on I33. There's always crashes on that highway. "Okay, what do we got?" She says when she gets to the ER putting the yellow trauma gown on.

"We have two patients. A passenger with a head lac and the driver was unconscious when we got there. He seemed to have a seizure which caused the car to crash. They also had two kids in the car with them. We have more people on the way in other rigs." The paramedic said.

"Okay" Amelia said taking both patients. She sees the two little girls. They both seem perfectly fine the only injuries they have are some scraps, bruises and possibly some broken bones. They look about 9 and 5. She walks over to the two girls scared, looking around, holding each others hands. "Hey kiddos, mind telling me your names?"