The Proposal

It's a cold March morning, it's March 10 at 5am, Carina and Amelia wake up and start heading out the door for their drive to New York. Last night, they found out Amelia and Derek's mother had cancer and was on her deathbed. She didn't have much time left to live.

**************

Amelia, Carina and Derek have been driving for 24 hours now. It's about 10pm and they're now in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It's now March 11.

Amelia had fallen asleep in the car. She's about 8 months pregnant and 32 weeks. Carina had also fallen asleep in the car next to her girlfriend.

Carina wakes up, she sees Amelia still asleep, leaning against the window.

Amelia starts waking up after awhile.

"Hey" Carina says, stroking Amelia's hair.

"Hey, what time is it?" Amelia asks her.

Carina looks at her watch. "10:20pm"

"Damn, it's late"

"Yeah it is, we've been driving all day"

"Have you guys stopped anywhere at all? 12 hours is a long time to be driving....wait I was seriously out for 12 hours?!" Amelia says.

"The only thing we've stopped for is for food or drinks or to use the bathroom, but I was out half the time too"

Amelia nods. "Okay. Hey Derek, can you pull over at the next gas station? I need to pee" She gets a reluctant nod from Derek. "Thanks"

"Does any of you want something to drink?" Carina asks. Derek shakes his head no. "Amelia, you want something?"

"Just a water if that's okay, I don't wanna risk throwing up" She hasn't had much of an appetite recently.

"Yeah, that's okay" Carina replies.

"Thanks" Amelia smiles.

Carina nods and smiles. "No problem"

Amelia gets out of the car and follows Carina into the 7-11. "Hey"

Carina smiles. "Hey, it's starting to rain"

Amelia looks out the window. "Oh yeah?"

Carina nods. "Yeah"

Amelia smiles. "Oh my gosh...they have a slushy machine" She immediately buys one. It's so nostalgic for her. She got a big one on purpose so her and Carina could share. "Hey babe, guess what?"

Carina smiles. "What?"

Amelia holds up an empty cup with two straws. She motions to the slushy machine by the door with a huge grin.

"Okay, let's go" Carina says also with a grin.

Amelia runs over and starts filling it up. She doesn't know what flavor, but she know Carina LOVES fruit flavored things, so she gets a mix.

Carina follows her and hugs her from behind.

Amelia kisses her cheek, but because of their angle she gets her on the chin.

Carina chuckles a little and kisses her.

Amelia leaves the slushy next to the machine and turns around. She kisses her.

Carina kisses her again.

Amelia's cuddled close to her and takes one hand. "Follow me" She says. She's gonna take her out into the rain. It's really therapeutic.

Carina smiles, takes her hand and follows her.

"Just trust me" Amelia says running out into the rain leaving Carina under the dry shelter. She calls out to Carina. "C'mon!"

"Alright" Carina says running out straight into the pouring rain, she picks up Amelia and spins her.

Amelia laughs as she's being spun around. This is incredible. She breathes for a minute...so this is what being alive is like. It's beautiful.

Carina just smiles at Amelia. They're so happy together.

As Carina puts Amelia back down, she stands with Carina, swaying with her for a bit with their heads together. As the rain starts getting heavier, it's really loud so they both have to yell to hear each other. "Hey! What's over there?" She points behind Carina.

"Huh?" Carina turns around to look.

As Carina turns around, Amelia gets down on one knee and pulls out a little velvet box with a ring inside and opens it. She's tearing up a little bit, but it's masked by the rain and darkness. Carina turns back around. "Carina DeLuca, I love you so much and I thin-I know I wanna spend the rest of my life with you. Will you continue to make me the happiest woman in the world?" She laughs and sniffles a little. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes! Yes, I will marry you Amelia Shepherd! I love you so much!" Carina says. Amelia then slides the ring onto her finger.

Amelia squeals excitedly. She pulls her straight into a hug. "Oh my god! D-did we just get engaged outside a 7-11???" So happy she's crying whilst laughing.

Carina hugs her and smiles. "Yes, yes we did" She had teared up a little.

Amelia pulls Carina into a kiss. She's absolutely euphoric.

Carina kisses her back. She's so happy. "You're gonna be my wife"

"And you're gonna be mine" Amelia replies.

"I love the ring, Amelia, it's beautiful" Carina says, looking at the ring once more.

"I'm glad you like it" Amelia says.

They kiss one last time before getting into the car. They're completely soaked from head to toe from the rain. They then get on the road for another 18 hours.

****************

When they get to New York around 6pm on March 11. Amelia goes to see her mom, Carolyn. Carina also gets to meet her mom. Amelia explains how she's about 8 months pregnant and that she proposed to Carina on the way to New York. Carina's her fiancé now. Carolyn asks to see the ring on Carina's finger and Carina let's her. The ring is absolutely gorgeous. Amelia, Derek, Kathleen, Nancy and Liz were told that they're mother didn't have much time to live. It's much worse than they thought. Amelia's gonna miss her mom and wants to cry, but she doesn't want to feel it. When she feels it, it makes it real.

****************

A/N: Well now Amelia and Carina are getting married and Amelia's mom, Carolyn is on her deathbed.