The Death of Carolyn Shepherd

The next morning, Amelia had gotten a call from Kathleen saying that their mom had died that morning at around 2am. Mark's mom had died the day before. Carina, Amelia, Mark and Lexie rush to New York.

Once they get to New York, Carina looks around the hospital, Lexie and Mark decide to stay in the hotel to get ready for Mark's mom's funeral tomorrow whilst Amelia going to see her mom. Amelia started fighting with her sisters and Derek as soon as she got there.

Derek, Kathleen, Nancy and Liz leave the hospital to go walk around New York, leaving Amelia there.

Amelia just stands there staring at her mom. She's so pale, but peaceful. She doesn't have to be in pain anymore. She walks out of the room and into the stairwell. She gets a text for Liz telling her to not even bother attending their mom's funeral, she throws her phone.

Carina had walked into the hospital stairwell. She picks up Amelia's phone which is completely shattered, she then walks over to her, sits down and gently pulls her close.

Amelia hears footsteps. It's Carina. As Carina gently pulls her in for a hug, Amelia leans into her.  "Sorry....I probably broke it, huh?"

"You did, but that doesn't matter right now" Carina says.

"It's just-...she's gone" Amelia says looking down.

"I know babe, I know" Carina says continuing to hold Amelia close.

Amelia sobs into her quietly. "She died and I wasn't here"

"There was nothing more we could've done, baby" Carina says stroking Amelia's hair.

"I think I wanna go home, after Mark's mom's funeral" Amelia says with a sniffle.

"We can do that" Carina says.

Amelia nods a little. "I mean, I think that's when everyone else is heading back"

"We'll leave whenever you want to. Wherever you go, I go. You're safe with me" Carina reassures her.

Amelia hugs her. "I love you"

Carina hugs her back. "I love you too"

"Dress code is bright colors for tomorrow" Amelia tells her.

"Okay" Carina says.

"We should probably go back to the hotel room now...right?"

"Yeah, probably"

"Okay"

Carina stands up holding out a hand so Amelia could stand up.

Amelia stands up, but as she does so, she ends up in pain again. It's only braxton hicks, but it hurt a lot more that time. She hunches over a little one hand on Carina's shoulder.

"You okay?" Carina asks.

Amelia nods. "It's uh-been happening on and off all day"

"We could check and see what's going on" Carina suggests.

Amelia shakes her head. "It's just braxton hicks, I'll be fine by tomorrow"

"You sure?" Carina asks a little nervous that the baby might be coming early.

Amelia nods.

"Okay. Tell me if it gets worse, okay?"

"Okay"

10 minutes later, Amelia is almost back at the hotel with Carina. They're holding hands as they walk down the street.

"I'm not promising that I won't be worried about you since it's getting closer and closer to your due date every time the baby kicks" Carina says as they're walking down the street.

Amelia chuckles a little as they reach the hotel and walk up to their room. "Okay"

*********************

A/N: So Amelia's mom died and her siblings are rude. Now Amelia, Mark, Carina and Lexie will have to go to Mark's mom's funeral.