32| Roles

48 hours earlier

48 hours earlier

Caroline's eyes were filled with emotion when I sat down across from her. Her hair was buzzed off, and the tattoos on her face looked like dirt. She used to be so beautiful in high school. How did she turn out this bad?

"Hi Barry." She sobbed on the phone. "Hi," I said to her sadly.

I gulped.

This situation is so fucked up. I didn't even know what to do or say.

"How... how is he? How is my baby boy?" She asked. "Mateo is with me," I said. "Where is he?" She looked around excitedly.

I licked my lips and let out a deep breath. "He's in the car. He's not ready to see you."

Caroline's face fell. "What the fuck do you mean he doesn't want to see me. I'm his fucking mother." She slammed her hand on the table frustrated. "You tell him to bring his ass in here now!"

It was as if a switch went off. She was no longer the emotional person full of regret and sorrow a few seconds ago. She was now filled with fury. It was too early for this.

The guards were at the door. They were both watching our every move. Contrary to popular belief, I've never been inside a maximum security jail before.

"I can't do that Caroline," I said to her. "You got to be kidding me. What the fuck is this? You can't do that Barron, I'm the one who raised him. I'm his motherfucking mother!" Tears were descending down her cheek.

"A mother who is going to spend the rest of her life in prison. Jesus Caroline, just what the fuck were you thinking?" I hissed at her. I was no longer able to contain my anger.

In order for Caroline to avoid the possibility of getting the death penalty, she had to plead guilty which gave her life in prison.

"So you are going to sit here and judge me, after everything you did to me." "Caroline all of the years of you smoking crack must have done something to your brain because I did nothing to you. It was you who kept Mateo away from me remember? If you wanted to tell me you knew how to get to me. Don't flip this on me. Everything that has led up to this is your fault." I hissed at her.

I hated that I had to be so harsh but I was so fucking upset.

"I did everything I can to come to you about this. Your mother said you wanted nothing to do with me and Mateo. What else could I have done?

Wait a fucking minute!

I let out a laugh. I wish I could say I was surprised that my mom somehow played a part in this, but I'm not.

"My mom knew." I rubbed my chin. "Of course, that puta knew. She's the one I came to first. She had a bunch of gang members threaten me and told me to stay away from you."

I looked up at the ceiling. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

"Don't act like this high and mighty person Barry. It's easy for you to look at me the way you are. Suddenly you have all of this money and cars. You think you are better than me or something."