14

Aang: Hey look! A sword made out of a whale's tooth.

Sokka (grabbing it): Lemme see that.

(Sokka walks forward, examining the blade. Fade to a flashback of daytime at the South Pole. In the distance, many Water Tribe boats are being loaded with supplies. View pans left to reveal the back of a younger Sokka, a view soon replaced by a frontal shot of the boy. He holds his boomerang, a pained look of anticipated loss on his face. Flashback fades, his older face superimposed briefly on his younger face.)

Sokka: This is a water tribe weapon. (To Aang, behind him over he left shoulder.) See if you can find anything else.

Katara (entering wider shot): Did someone lose something?

Aang: (looking in a bush): No, we found something.

(Cut to Sokka brushing away some leaves from a broken arrow on the ground. He picks it up and inspects it.)

Sokka: It's burned.

(He throws it away and walks over to a tree with burn marks.)

___: There was a battle. Water tribe warriors ambushed a group of firebenders.

(He looks down at the ground and begins to walk downhill as he interprets the signs left in the earth.)

Sokka: The firebenders fought back, but the warriors drove them down this hill...

(He runs down the hill, the others in tow. They soon come to the beach seen in the first clip.)

Aang: So then what happened?

Sokka: I don't know.

___: The trail ends here.

Katara: Wait! Look!

(Cut to a shot of a beached water tribe boat.)

Sokka: It's one of our boats!

Katara: Is this... Dad's boat?

___: well... IS IT (she was anxious, she hardly remembers her dad, she was VERY young when he left... tho she remembers more of him then her mother)

Sokka (rubbing the ship's prow and smiling): No, but it's from his fleet. Dad was here.

___: oh... i guess thats fine

the kids and Appa around a campfire in front of the water tribe boat they found on the beach. Katara ___ and Aang are asleep the young ones arent to far apart from the other, Sokka is not. He tends the fire in silence, lost in thought.

Hakoda: Sokka...

Sokka: I'm coming with you.

Hakoda: You're not old enough to go to war, Sokka, you know that.

Sokka (his eyes pleading): I'm strong! I'm brave! I
can fight! Please, Dad!

Hakoda (putting a hand on his shoulder): Being a man is knowing where you're needed the most, and for you right now that's here protecting your sisters.

Sokka (eyes watering): I don't understand. and they can take care of themselves. i mean-___ is the best water bender alive. she could cover the world in snow and ice permanently standing in one spot if she wanted to.

Hakoda: Someday you will. (Sokka drops his sleeping bag and hugs his father.) I'm going to miss you so much.... and i do believe what you said about young ___ is true... she is a powerful bender. perhaps even stronger then the avatar will ever be at waterbending (he chuckled from the first ..... then so on)

sokka hears a sound and stands up

Sokka: Who's there?

(Cut to a bandaged water tribe man approaching the camp.)