Really just a toy? [Empires S2] (Drabble?Hurt/Comfort) {Jimmy & Pix}

The creek of the barn door allerted the horses. A small being walked forward, a wooden hand placed on his horse's back. "It's just me, Bullseye... Just me." Each wooden digit slowly stroked through the short hair that covered the body, before going to the mane. The sheriff groaned, slipping to a seat on the hay covered ground. "I'm human..." Jimmy told himself, "I wish I was human..."

Large cartoony stitches held his garments together, wood grain covering his skin. No blemishes were held onto the smooth, sealed surface. His eyes seemed the most human, though large and cartoony. His eyelids closed smoothly, wood against the unknown material of his eyes. Maybe cotton? A small wooden action figure. Wooden toys didn't need to breathe. The sheriff did need to breathe. Wooden toys didn't need to eat, and couldn't eat. The sheriff could eat, and needed to. He had to be at least a bit human.

Human. God, he wanted to be human more than anything. He once was, but he turned to wood, with stiff joints, and large stitched clothing. The hat was what never changed. Old, tattered, but beautiful. Simple, and powerful. He was the sheriff. The hat chose him.

That's what it felt like at least.

Jimmy's breathing slowed as he heard footsteps outside. His small legs curled into his chest, a voice calling out. "Jimmy!? Jimmy!? Solidarity, are you here!?" He couldn't tell who was calling his name. He didn't want to be seen. He was ashamed of his wooden skin. Jimmy's eyelids were heavy, falling over the now damp eyes.

Tears...

Toys didn't cry. Toys couldn't cry. Jimmy cried. Tears smoothly glided along the wooden surface, a small sniff given, the sheriff bringing an arm to wipe away the tears. He heard the familiar creaking of the barn door. He didn't look up until he felt a hand on his back, and the hay move beside him. He looked to this side, staring up at the person. Pix... "Hey, buddy. Are you doing okay..?" Pix asked quietly. Jimmy flung his small arms around the archaeologist, head buried into his chest. Pix slowly lifted Jimmy so he was more on his lap, holding him gently. "Do you want to talk about it?" Pix asked. Jimmy nodded slightly. "Right away, or do it need a moment?" "A- a moment..." Jimmy managed to get out. It probably took about five minutes before Jimmy attempted to speak.

"Why can't I be human..?" Jimmy muttered, "W-why am I- I- some stupid toy..?" "Jimmy, you are not some stupid toy. You are our sheriff, our strong, kind sheriff." Pix told him, "And for the human question, I believe it's how lore, fate, decided. Lore makes things happen that we don't want." "I care about the law, not that stupid lore!" Jimmy kicked at Pix slightly, though he was too tired to do anything painful. Pix ran his hand through Jimmy's yarn hair, "Shh... It's going to be alright..." Jimmy weakly grabbed at Pix's shirt, burying his head into his chest once again, tears soaking into the archaeologist's shirt. Pix held the small boy close, one hand on his back, the other still running through his hair.

He was weak. Jimmy couldn't do anything but softly cry. It all built up. And now, he was seen. Someone saw him break down... He let his eyes flutter shut, breathing getting steady. Pix held the sleeping toy in his arms carefully.

(568 words)