four

I spend a bit of time in Alex's office, catching up with him, and partaking in one of our favorite activities, shit talking our coworkers. We share a laugh and then I head out to read through the upcoming 1975 project.

Back in my office, I settle into my cushioned chair, kick my feet up on my desk, and grab my notebook, ready to read through the plans set out for me.

I'm determined to treat this like any other project, like any other client. I know of course it's not, but this relationship we are establishing will be strictly professional. I could never forgive him for what went down all those years ago.

The proposal is pretty unique, and I must say I am impressed with what the band has set out for their upcoming tour. They've asked us to be in charge of everything from building the set, organizing afterparties, catering to each venue, etc.

The set design is honestly amazing, like nothing I had ever seen before. The band has requested a multi-level house like design complete with a couch, televisions, coffee tables, desk, and other minute items. I knew this idea had to be Matty's doing, he was always so creative, he always saw his art in ways no one else could. Every idea that came from Matty was like seeing a color for the first time. It was so new and bright, like nothing anyone had ever seen before, but the second you laid eyes on it, everything seemed to make sense.

I continued to read through his proposal, genuinely amazed at the creativity and thought that had gone into planning the tour. The tour planned to tackle over sixty cities on almost every continent. The shows will start in the US, likely somewhere on the East Coast, this is where I come in.

Montgomery Management will handle picking the exact dates and bookings of venues. While Matty and the band's team have given us cities they describe as "indisputable", meaning they must play in, I have the freedom to analyze listening habits to see where their live shows would be successful.

After a couple hours of working on contacts, I hear a knock on my door, and I hear Alex ask, "Can I come in?"

"Yeah, I'm about finished up for the day with some preliminaries for the '75 tour," I reply.

"I'm glad you've gotten started with that," Alex says. "However, there are some things about the job we haven't quite covered yet, but I wanted to give you some time to take in the assignment before I throw everything on you," he says.

In my head I wonder what the hell could this mean? What more to this could there be then planning their entire tour?

"Alex." I reply with a cautious tone. "What are you talking about? I've got all the information right here."

"The band has given us total creative freedom, except for the general set design ideas, but they do have a one single request," Alex says.

I absolutely hate where this is going. Matty has got to be a part of this.

"They have asked you to stay on board for the entirety of the tour. They feel the vision could be compromised without the creator and manager traveling with the band," Alex replies.

"Alex, no," I said. "This is crazy, I can't just pick up and leave, this is my home!"

Alex nods his head understandingly, "I know, I know," he says. "It's an unusual request, but I see where they are coming from. The exact words they used were you were to be a 'part of the band'".

Part of the Band? What the hell have I gotten into?