forty-one

I was right, shit has absolutley hit the fan. We landed a couple hours ago, and Matty turned his phone on to see dozens of missed calls and texts from Jaime and the band. He tried his best to ignore them, but when Matty and I head out of the airport after grabbing our bags, we are greeted by a very happy Jaime, who has so kindly come to pick us up. 

After Matty got his ass chewed out in the car for being 'reckless and a fucking wanker', Jaime's words not mine, we head straight to the venue to get ready for the show tonight. Matty thinks the entire situation is funny, but Twitter isn't necessarily laughing. Jaime suggests Matty post a dumb ass apology on his Instagram story, but hell we all know that is so not Matty's style, and so after some back and forth between Matty and management the case is closed and he hasn't said anything.

The boys are due onstage in about twenty minutes, and I head into Matty's dressing room to wish him luck before I head out to watch the show. I also have a small surprise I bought for him while he and Jaime kissed each other's asses all afternoon.

I walk in with his gift held behind my back. "Matty," I say as he appears from the bathroom. "Luna," he echoes back towards me. "I brought you something and I don't even want you to bitch about it because it's Texas and you're fucking wearing it," I tell him. "The fuck could this even be," he murmurs as I pull the white cowboy hat out from behind my back. "I went to a real redneck store, so I know it's gotta be legit," I say to him jokingly.

He dramatically slides it on, "Luna I can't even make this shit up I fuckin' love it," he laughs. "Ross is gonna be so jealous," he continues. I laugh, and he pulls me closer to him, kissing me, and dramatically pulling the hat down as to hide my face from an imaginary crowd. I smile into the kiss, and he draws back. "I'll see you out there, Matthew," I say teasingly as I slip back out the door and head to the pit to grab my spot for the show.

As soon as I walk out I hear "OMGs!" and "Is that her?" Come from the crowd when they see me. I ignore it, and simply face the stage, but I can feel all the eyes on me. I turn around and hear a girl behind the barrier I'm at yell towards me, "are you and Matty together, please tell!" I turn back and face the stage ignoring her question. 

I don't understand why this is so hard for me. I can't even imagine how the guys feel, this has become their life. They left their quiet, average lives in the UK and are now being followed around the world. They have thousands of followers and it seems there's always a camera on them. It's agonizingly hard for me, and I don't even get the brunt of it. 

I fuck around on my phone, just scrolling aimlessly while I wait for the show to start. Pretty soon I see the iconic black curtain with the band's name on it begin to raise and cover up stage. The crowd screams in anticipation. The intro to sex begins to play and the curtain falls to the floor. And of course, Matty is centerstage in a grey suit, and he's actually wearing the cowboy hat I got him. I can't help but laugh, I can't believe he fucking wore it, and I honestly can't believe how hot it looks on him. I shoot him a smile when I see him make his way to the side of the stage I'm on.

 I shoot him a smile when I see him make his way to the side of the stage I'm on