twenty

I wander into the office around 9:00 AM, and head straight into my office. I need today to be an easy day full of no distractions, so I can get a final draft finished of the set design.

I settle down at my desk and review the notes that were left by the band on what kind of vibe they were hoping to emulate with the set design and decor. The band gave me quite the amount of creative freedom, but did however send over some general ideas. 

I really liked the idea of the stage being similar to a house-like design. I pull out my IPad and begin to make some rough sketches. I agree, that the house should have multiple levels to give it some depth, so I start with two. Before I know it hours have gone by, and it's 1 PM. I feel pretty good about the design I have so far, but I'll be sure to go over it with Alex to get any suggestions. 

I make sure to leave space for what the proposal described as a "television wall", multiple door frames, a couch, and a couple other unconventional requests. While this process seems tedious, this is nothing to what comes next. Once the design and set ideas are ready to go, we begin the process of reaching out to venues to schedule the dates and times. We also forward them all stage design information and artist requests to ensure the venue is accomodating. 

As if he knew I had just finished up, Alex raps his knuckes on the door to my office and saunters in, taking a seat in the chair facing my desk. "To what do I owe this lovely visit," I mock. "Always my nicest employee, Luna. I can't count on you for a smile," he replies back.

"Okay fine. I'm actually happy you came in, I'd like to show you the stage I have created for the 1975 tour," I tell him. "Alright let's see it," he says as I pull up the design on my IPad.

This is the first set design I've ever done entirely on my own, so I am definitely anxious to present my idea to Alex

This is the first set design I've ever done entirely on my own, so I am definitely anxious to present my idea to Alex. He is quiet, too quiet. My nerves begin to worsen, when suddenly he looks up, and says, "you're a fucking genius." 

"What?" I ask, totally shocked. "This is perfect. I've never seen anything like this before. Holy shit they're gonna love it. Send me a copy and I'll forward it to Jamie and band managment," Alex says. I'm beaming at Alex, this is a huge moment for me. I finally realize this is really happening. I'm actually going to put this together, all on my own. 

"Thank you, Alex. Sending it to you now," I say. "You're the best, I'll copy you on it," he says and he stands to leave. He looks back at me as he leaves and gives me a friendly smile. 

...

Four Months Later