11

"Are you okay?".

Snapping out of my thoughts , I turn to Brianna who was seated beside me. "Are you okay?" , she repeats and I give a tiny nod. "Won't you eat?", she pointed to the buffet. I honestly had no appetite. My eyes shift to Reece who was still speaking with guests. Hailey was at his side , stuck to him like glue. His eyes divert and find mine instantly. The smile that formed on his face made me feel sick.

"I - I think I'm going to head home. Its quite late", I get to my feet. "It's not even 11" , bri exclaimed, chomping on cheese cake. "I am tired ", I give her shoulder a squeeze and she sighed. "Fine , I'll see you at work ", she smiled and went back to eating. Despite the heels I wore , I forced myself to walk as fast as I could. I needed fresh air. I needed my bed!

"Ms Cora " , I turn around to find his brother making his way to me. "Leaving so soon?", he asked when he reached. "Yes, it's been a long night ", I wave my hands in the air and chuckle awkwardly. "You're not a party girl", he pointed out and I nod. "Well it was nice meeting you", he shook my hand again . "You too Mr Alexander", I say and move along to the exit. He seemed nice. But - that's also what I said about Reece.

The cold smacked me in my face when I got out of the hall. Wrapping my arms around myself, I am about to pace across the street to catch a cab.

"Anastasia-", his voice boomed , cutting through the wind. I halt , turning around to find Reece. "Leaving so soon?", he questioned while removing his coat and draping It around me. "Yes sir", I stared at our feet. "I'll give you a ride home", he said but I shake my head , "no I'm good", I step back, lifting my eyes to meet his.

"I was not offering. Get in the car", he pointed to his car and again , I shake my head. "I'll be okay sir", I whisper, not wanting to be alone with him. "Are you okay?", he reached out , tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. His touch was warm and gentle. "Mr Alexander, I will be fine-", I remove his coat , holding it out for him to take back. "I'll take you home ", he seemed confused but I'm sure he knew why I did not want to be alone.

"I said I'll be okay ", I shift my gaze to hailey approaching us. "Reece, guests are asking for you", her voice loud and stern. Her eyes glaring at his coat in my hand. His jaw clenched as he inhaled sharply, taking the coat from my hand. "Get home safe then ", he deadpanned as I nod. With that he turned and headed back inside. He seemed upset but I did not care.

"He's married", she crossed her arms over her chest. "His wife is in the same function. You think I didn't see the little eye contact you were trying to make with my husband ", she snapped through gritted teeth. I furrow my brows, not in the mood for a cat fight. "Mrs Alexander, I have no intention of distracting your husband", my tone soft and calm. "Whether you try or not , I do not care. You pretended to come into our home as a little naive girl but you know exactly what you're doing ", she pointed her manicured nails at me.

I would have defended myself.
But - I couldn't.

I felt lost and misunderstood. I did not want anyone comparing me to my mother who messed up. I was not her.

"Stay away from him. We are happily married", she flicked her middle finger at me before heading back into the hall. With a groan, I rub my forehead, turning and heading to find a cab. Maybe quit work. But then I'd need to have another job, so I'm financially stable.
Getting across the street , I sit on the sidewalk instead of cab hunting. I felt miserable.

••
F l a s h B a c k

"Don't you want me?", he whispered.

What? I try to push him back but he just held me closer , inhaling my scent. "sir-", I struggled in his tight hug. I was trying my best not to draw attention to our stall, so keeping my voice down was a must. "I think you're drunk -", I wriggle, feeling his hands squeeze my waist. "You're so pretty ", he whispered, bringing one hand up to cup my face, holding me In place while he admired me. His eyes bouncing from detail to detail.

"I feel too old to be flirting ", he smirked.

Old? He looked younger than young men. If that made sense.

"Reece- we shouldn't be doing this ", I protest under my breath. "You didn't answer my question-", he clasped my chin between his fingers. He was dangerously close- inches apart. "Do you want me?".

His question required a simple answer. Yet I found myself debating. He was so handsome, how could anyone say no ? But then he was married. "You are married. I have a boyfriend ", I trail off. Was Anthony right for getting upset the other day when Reece pet my head ?

Could he see something that I failed too?

"Can we not discuss them when it's just us?", his thumb caressed my flustered cheek. His blue eyes hypnotized my soul. "US?", I whisper and shut my eyes the second his lips brushed against mine.

"Us-", he breathed.

"There is no us ,Mr Alexander", I could feel my heart beating in my ears! It may just fall out my ass at this rate. It was skyrocketing. "Then why are you still here, little one?", he snickered softly. Prying open my eyes. He was already watching me with a smirk. "Because you won't let me go", I frown at his cockiness.

"Okay-" , releasing me . He stepped back , leaning against the opposite wall. I draw in a deep breath, looking down at my feet. I was shivering. Not from the cold but from being nervous. "Leave", he whispered with amusement laced in his tone. Lifting my eyes , I watch him while reaching for the handle.

"You guys are goals , Mrs Alexander".

"Everyone is just hyping us up".

Hailey's egotistical voice cackled , piercing my eardrums. I gulp , turning to glance at Reece who was still smiling as if his wife was not outside. "Leave-", he mouthed and reached for the handle. I smack his hand away and furrow my brows at how playful he was being In a serious situation. "Ouch-", he pout cutely.

This man was being a prick !

If we get caught , everyone will come to know my mother was a home wrecker! I'll be a home wrecker...My relationship with Anthony will be over.

I almost squeak when he harshly gripped my jaw, forcing me to look up at him. "Why are you still here ?", he whispered, lips curling into a deadly smirk. "Your wife-", I whimper the moment his lips touch mine. They were so soft and skilled. His hands skim down to my waist , pushing me against the wall. An involuntary moan escaped , making him smile. His hands are back on my face , holding me In place .

"Reece-", I push at his chest , trying to break the kiss. Taking the opportunity, he snaked his tongue into my parted lips. Hailey was in the restroom , chatting to a bunch of girls who were praising their marriage.

"Sir-", I groan softly , pushing harder until he backed off. We both pant , staring at each other. I could feel his saliva on my lips. He also tasted of strong champaign. My chest heaved up and down , I was angry. At him ! At myself...
He was about to say something but I cut him off , bringing up my hand , I slap him across his face.

The silence that settled between us made me tear up. He slowly brought up his hand , touching his cheek. Instead of getting upset, he simply smiled and glanced down at me.

The second I hear hailey and the others leave , I unlock the door and storm out. Yes I slapped him! He was my boss. An older man crossing the line with someone way younger than him. To top it all off - he was married ! How fucking sick.

••
P r e s e n t T i m e

It's 2 in the morning and here I am - surfing the internet for vacant jobs. I could not work with reece anymore. It would be so awkward, especially after I slapped him. The only question that buzzed around me like a fly on a summer day- was why he still came out , offering me a ride home. Didn't he feel bad that a girl hit him? Was he shameless?

Groaning, I shut my laptop, sinking into the bed. Why was my life becoming so complicated! I moved out here for a fresh start. Clearly the sins of my family were following me. I did not deserve this. I had never cheated in my life. Be it an exam , a mere test , on my boyfriend. I was a good girl.

Why was Reece ruining the character I worked hard to build.

The worst part was I had work tomorrow. Seeing his face was like walking into a dream , knowing it's a nightmare. Guess I'll have to stick around until god sends me another job.