30

18 : 28 pm

Stirring around- I find my room dark when my eyes part. Sitting up , I rub an eye - glancing at the blinking clock on the study desk. "What -", why did no one wake me? Reece was not beside me , so clearly he woke up . Getting out of my warm bed , I slip into my shoes and throw on a hoodie from my open suitcase.

So unfair.

Laughter and voices filled my ears as I slowly made my way into the living room. They all sat around the table. Fletcher sharing stories which made them laugh. Reece had a smile on his bright face. Mama had her hand covering her mouth to hide her ugly toothy laugh. Rupert her new husband was chomping on chicken wings while giggling and papa -

Papa was here !

"Papa-", my voice cut the laughter. All eyes on me. "My child -", the chair screeched as he stood and immediately pulled me into an embrace. He was ever so warm and cozy. "I've missed you -", he stroked my head , holding me close. "Me too-", I whisper, forcing myself not to cry.

Papa was my safe haven. If he only knew I've been bullied and harassed and forced into a loveless marriage -

"Oh -" , I pull back to point at Reece. "Papa , have you met him", I asked in a soft voice. "Ofcourse I have ", he smiled instead of frowning in anger. "I'm not mad at you for marrying at a young age" , he tapped my nose with his index . "You're responsible and intelligent. Life without love is worthless and useless", he squeezed my tense shoulder. "You know it's love above everything else", he smiled .

He had let mama go for the same reason. Papa always believed love is superior to all things around us. Without it - there is no point in living. Ofcourse he wept for her when she cheated and divorced him. But - he loved her enough to watch her marry another man.

"If he makes you happy then I'm happy. Besides- he clearly takes good care of you", he pulls me in for another hug. I'm sure Reece had shared his occupation and lifestyle with them while I was asleep for centuries. "I am proud of you for making a dying woman's dream come true -", he kissed my forehead. I glance at Reece, who was smirking ,knowing he truly didn't have a sick grandmother.

I too couldn't help but smile.

My parents forgiving my mistake and accepting Reece came as a surprise. They were never this open to anything. Maybe he had won them over with his charm and delicious looks.

••
22 : 48 pm

"What's surprising about people liking me?", he asked while we stared at each other. Laying on our sides - tucked warmly in bed after a long supper and funny conversations with everyone.

Papa had decided we'd all meet at a park tomorrow to chill. I guess that's a wonderful idea.

"You're not likable-", I mumble and he smiled at the insult. "I'm lovable ", he winked ,earning an eye roll from me. "Your parents seem like great folks", he add. Yeah , they were amazing individuals but together they were a force of destruction.

I could feel the tension between them tonight. Especially when Rupert that asshole is the one she cheated with on Papa.

"Does it feel good being back home?", he reached out , stroking my cheek with his warm knuckles. "It doesn't feel like home honestly", I trail off with a soft sigh. "What does that mean?", he whispered.

"It means - after mama remarried, this place turned into a house . It used to be the happiest home in the neighborhood. Laughter, vacations, bonfires out back ", the memories seemed hazy but I could recall a few special moments that made our family unique. "How long has she been remarried?", his fingers dance along my jawline. "More than 2 years but less than 3. She cheated on Papa in my final year of high school. By the end of that year they were engaged and ready to move on with their lives", my heart ached at the immense pain that year brought me.