Know His Heart

The Jeon mansion has experienced two completely different emotions during these last few days. Jimin, Suga and Jungkook’s mother have returned and the silent, stone-cold walls of the mansion are suddenly all warmed up. Mrs. Jeon is a lady who is admired by many for her strong and independent aura. She never let Mr. Jeon’s dark and dominating personality shadowed her bubbly presence. The day she discovered a pretty and sweet boy living with her son, she was overwhelmed. She is trying to make Tae happy and trying to be the mother she always wanted to be. She could not be a caring mother for Jungkook because of her role in the business. However, now she believes Mr. Jeon tried his best to push Jungkook away from his mother. Jungkook takes care of her but he never gives her the chance to show affection, as if an unseen boundary between the two. 

Therefore when she saw a little shy boy, she took him under her care. She is feeding the skinny boy who shies away from food most of the time. Tae misses his mother badly and now he is happy to get another mother. Jimin is also glad to see Tae getting gelled with the Jeon family because that’s all he wanted all along. But, something wasn’t right. He sees Jungkook after dinner when Tae is in his bedroom and then he disappears by the morning. He also spotted a lingering sadness in Taehyung’s eyes which he hides with his bright boxy smile. Suga also saw Tae shedding tears alone in the garden and all hinted to the distress the couple was feeling. Jimin could not stop feeling guilty at this point. “I should not have rushed it. They should have got some time,”these words keep rotating in Jimin’s mind. 

—------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who says a person needs light to see things clearly? The darkness of night showed Taehyung everything. He was well aware of Jungkook’s unwillingness to give him a place in his life, but he never knew he would be deprived severely of Jungkook’s presence in his life. He went to bed on his date night with Jungkook beside him, but he woke up lonely and cold. After that day, it's been two weeks and no sign of Jungkook. Now he is feeling guilty for confessing his love. He is beating himself up for opening up to him and making him uncomfortable. At this point, even Jimin’s presence is not helping him to calm down. 

“May I come in?” A gentle and sweet voice broke him out of trance. Jimin sat on the bed beside Taehyung. Tae had no idea how much tears his eyes shed till now, until Jimin wiped his face. “Hyung, was I wrong to tell him how much I love?” Tae’s question worried Jimin. He was sure that Tae was not feeling happy with Jungkook’s harsh treatment but he had no idea that Tae was considering himself guilty. “Tae, he needs time. He is fighting with his own self. I probably should not have rushed the marriage and given you two some time to understand each other.” Jimin’s regret alerted Tae, he suddenly remembered that he should not stress Jimin. His health is stable now but he was warned about the risk he still has. Tae smiled and said, “No hyung, Jungkook isn’t treating me harshly. He is probably too busy to have time for me. Things will get better with time, Hyung. He spent a few weeks outside Seoul and needs to compensate for that.” 

Jimin patted the back of his sweet brother-in-law but he was still not convinced about their relationship. He needs Suga to talk to Jungkook; he was sure, a few more days and Tae will probably be broken beyond repair.” He left Tae alone to get back to these negative thoughts. Tae decided to sit with an empty canvas and draw something nice, but his mind could not find a color that is beyond the shade of black and white. He felt like all the pretty colors and  their warmth were wiped out of his life, leaving him cold and pained.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook never wanted to be rude to Tae, not only because of his promise to Jimin, but also for his affection towards the boy. He wasn’t ready to have a new lover in his life but things turned out to be different. He built an unbreakable wall around himself after Jiu’s death and decided to live there for the rest of his life. But, he made an exception for Tae, and he let him in as a friend. Everytime he recognized the love budding in him for Tae, he harshly warned himself. He tried to convince himself with the thought that Tae might not love him, but now when he knows Taehyung loves him too, it has become hard for him to hold back.

Jungkook tried to drown himself in work but that did not help his guilt. There is also a slight sense of excitement and happiness hiding behind his rage and frustration and he himself was confused about it. A knock on his cabin door brought him back to senses. “Oh, Suga Hyung! Is everything alright?” Jungkook was surprised to see Suga at his office. 

“Yes Jungkook, everything is alright, but I am here to discuss something serious. If you have some time can we talk?” Jungkook was kind of sure that the topic would be Taehyung. He was worried that he might not be able to hide his true emotions from him but he tried his best to cover it up with an angry look. 

“Is there anything wrong between you and Tae? If there is anything, you can talk to me. You know, we have always taken you for our son. We won’t judge you. Just open up, we are beyond worried.” Before Suga could extend his query, Jungkook needed to give an excuse, “No hyung, everything is fine between us. It’s just we are strangers and we need some time to get to know each other.” Though Jungkook did not lie, Tae’s condition was saying something else, “Jungkook, you know a marriage is not about you only or him only, it’s about you both. You probably haven’t seen Tae in weeks, so you are unaware of his condition.” These words alarmed Jungkook but he decided to let Suga continue, “I understand you need time but not at the cost of his pain. He barely eats at home, until Eomma or Jimin forces him to. His smile has lost the brightness it always used to hold, now there is nothing other than pain, hopelessness and a forceful attempt to hide his tears. Kook, you are his husband now, you love him or not, that’s secondary but it’s your duty to keep him happy, not hurt him at every chance you get.” 

Suga’s words almost caught Jungkook like a startled deer in front of a spotlight. His mind stopped, he never thought how Tae had felt that day. He had always thought about himself and only himself. He could not hold the turmoil inside himself anymore, “Hyung, he said he loved me. Before marriage he promised me he would never force me to forget Jiu.. How..how could he tell me that he loves me?” Suga smiled softly at his little brother, “Kook, did he ask you to love him back? I think he did not. He talked about his heart, and why do you think it is a sin? He probably had so many thoughts crowding his mind and as his friend, he wanted you to listen to them. He never asked you to remove Jiu from your mind and heart, but he asked for a small space in yours. He wanted respect and care from you in exchange for his love. But what did you give him? Pain and sorrow. It’s his first time falling in love, first time knowing how it feels to have a racing heart in front of a person. Those feelings may not be valuable to you but they are true to him. I never expected this selfishness from you, Kook.”

Jungkook realized how correct his Suga hyung was and now he desperately wanted to apologize. Before he could say anything else, Suga reminded him, “Jungkook, in a relationship you both need to be present; every conflict will add sweetness to your companionship, if you know how to resolve it. Trust him, he will never do anything to hurt you. You know why? Because he loves you, with all his heart.”

Author's note: Another veryyyyyy long chapter. Hope you don't get bored while reading it. ☺ Thank you for reading my story. 💜