Letting Go

Today is Jungkook’s birthday and Hyungs have planned to surprise Jungkook. Though Taehyung is very excited for the reunion, he has to keep a straight face and never let Jungkook guess their plan. So, here he was with a new suit for Jungkook. But he could not find a suitable excuse for the party so he randomly ended up coming up with the engagement thing. He mentally face-palmed the moment he spoke it; Damn! We aren’t even divorced. He will catch my lie in a moment. So, he decided to better stop, hand the suit and leave. He kept the suit on the bed and left hurriedly in embarrassment. 

On the other hand, Jungkook felt like his world stopped. He did not realize but tears started streaming down his eyes but he tried his best to hide him. He thanked God that Taehyung left the room fast, and he never wanted him to see him in this state. A long sigh left his mouth, yes, his birthday will never be the same anymore. But, yes, he is happy for Taehyung. He always wanted him to be happy. He has had a couple of drinks with Bogum and talked to him and he knows Bogum as a very sweet and caring person. He is very protective towards Taehyung and emotionally a very mature man. He will take Taehyung away from all the dangers and pain. 

Though Jungkook could not deny his aching heart, he decided to congratulate Taehyung from the bottom of his heart. This was what he promised Tae and this time, he will not back out. If his presence in the ceremony makes Tae feel any better, he will be there with a big smile. He is not sure how long he will be able to hide his tears or keep his face straight but he decided to accept Taehyung’s decision. Love is not something that one can beg, it is to win. Jungkook has lost and the thought of not being able to call Taehyung his, is hurting his heart. But he cannot show this, right? So he hid his pain behind a big bright bunny smile and went on with the day like nothing happened.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hunnie, what are you doing here all alone?” Jungkook spotted one of the kids away at the corner of the big playground. He loves spending time in this orphanage. He feels like he is in a similar position to them. He does not have a home now, because there is nobody whom he can call his home. But now he has accepted it, because he does not have someone to call his own, but that does not mean he isn't loved. The way Bam, Gureum and Tannie keep jumping on him, the moment they see him, he feels their love. The way Bam sticks to him, sensing his sadness is his love. Everyday the little kittens of his art school come and sit on his lap, and he feels loved. These little children, they wait for him, bring flowers for him, some save their candies to give him, how can be said he isn’t loved. He knows his hyungs love him, but his relationship with them has changed a bit in the last few months. 

Therefore, being with these children makes this heart warm, it feels like the ice of self-loathing, insecurity and hatred that used to rule him for years, are gradually melting away. He is loved by all the children and he also loves them. They ask him for chocolates and toys and he never says no. The thing that he has always noticed is how these children take each other as family and everytime he brings something for them they all share. He gets surprised by their emotional maturity and in a way talking to them helps in healing his wounds.

Hearing Kookie uncle’s words, the adorable five year old came running. Jungkook’s lovely “Cookie-monster” jumped on him for a successful hug. It did not take long for him to spot the pink Lilies the child was holding. “Hunnie, these flowers are so pretty. Who are they for? Want me to make a pretty garland for you?” The sweet and bright smile came on the toddler’s face, “Today is my Father’s birthday. I will pray to God and offer these flowers” The delicate smile on Jungkook’s face was immediately replaced by a stern feeling. He is aware of the condition Hunnie experienced before he was taken to the orphanage. His teen mother never wanted him and hence left him with his abusive father to get beaten everyday. The little soul was traumatized with the word “father” when he arrived here.

He understands what it feels like; he has gone through the same thing. Parents are the people who you want to depend on, the person in front of whom you let your guard down and bring out your fragile self. But, sometimes parents don’t realize it and sometimes, they just ignore it. The second was the case for Jungkook; his parents barely had time to show their affection for him and he was neglected like the most useless thing in their house. He cried, he yelled, he screamed but nobody came forward to say, no worries sweety. Things will be alright. He only needed this affirmation, nothing else. This is why he wishes someday Hunni will have a home when he will be loved like the most precious angel he is.

Jungkook’s eyes teared up at this thought but soon he felt a set of tiny hands wiping his tears away and kissing him lovingly. His heart fluttered, “Is this how a person feels when they become a father!” A sad smile crept on his face. He will probably never have a family and he does not dare to bring a child to absorb the bitterness of his broken state.

Jungkook placed Hunni on the bench and offered the jelly he especially brought for this boy on his request. He stared at him with awe, how happy he is with this tiny bit of reward. He felt a strange happiness that cleared out the pain that was making his heart pound since morning. “Hunni, you celebrate your father's birthday and pray for him. Don’t you get angry when you think of your parents?” Jungkook could not stop himself from asking this. He needs the answer, for his own sake. 

“Kookie Uncle, my father never got love, he never knew what it was. In work, they do him bad, and he punishes me to get his anger out. But, still he bought food for me when he wasn’t drunk. Even if he had not done anything, I would still be grateful. He gave me a chance to be on this world, see this flower, hear the birds chirping, eat these tasty jellies, getting hugged by you, playing with Miku. So no, I am not angry.” The stray dog which he adopted one day from the street was resting with his eyes droopy and as soon as he heard his name, Miku jumped up to his little “owner” and expressed his joy with a big kiss on his soft cheek.

Jungkook could not take his eyes off, and sometimes he feels this little human has all answers of his distress. “And what about your mum?” Hunni, who was busy petting Miku, stopped for a while and replied, “She brought me to the world too. She never loved me, but I loved her like all other children. I don’t feel sad that she left us. She is happy somewhere living her life and that’s what makes me happy.” A lone tear drop started rolling from Jungkook’s eyes. “Kookie uncle, why are you so sad today? You can tell me. If you are hurting anywhere I will do pain, pain, go away for you. Or, I can tell my angel to bring all the smiles on your face.” 

The little one’s concern made Jungkook feel much lighter, “Are you sure those will work for me?” Jungkook tried to sound as curious as possible. “Yesh, you just have to tell me.” The five year old looked funny to Jungkook with the seriousness of an old man but Jungkook decided to continue, “You know someone I love is going to leave me and this is why I am sad.” “If they wish for it , then you should let go, because you don’t need to stay together and stay friends. Minnie was my best friend here and we used to do everything together. We used to share our candies, and toys. But then she got adopted and I stayed here. I was sad when they told us that she was leaving. Then I saw her with her new Mum and Dad, holding her lovingly. She was so happy and so I was happy too. The next day something happened! I met you, and you became my new best-friend.See, if something is taken from you, you get something. So it’s okay. Take a deep breath with me and smile.”

Jungkook suddenly felt light; he was worried about facing Taehyung in the evening, but now he has courage to welcome the new change. He wiped away his tears and hugged the little boy, who willingly put his head on his Kookie uncle’s broad chest just to feel the fatherly warmth he craves.

Author's note: Here is a new chapter. I promised to post on Friday but I was down with a fever. So, I decided not to use my weary brain and write something total trash. I waited to get better before getting back to it.
Hope you like this story. Take care.

Hey readers, don't go. Late is late, a broken promise is a broken promise no matter what the reason. I also believe that actions are more effective as an apology so two more chapters today. ☺💜