Back Track to Fast Track

Mornings were always busy in the Halstead/Voight/Severide home

Mornings were always busy in the Halstead/Voight/Severide home. MillieFlorence had a book in a new book sitting at the small breakfast table "no books at the table" Jay said tapping the table to get the young teens attention. "Only in this house would we have to ban books" Jay said quietly to me before giving me a good morning kiss. "mummy can I go to grandpas after school he said he has lots of stuff I could use in his basement" "as long as he doesn't have a case" I told Justin who nods happily sitting at the larger table fiddling with his recent invention. It's was a remote control thing. "Not on the table" "dad no you'll break it" Justin gasps complaining as I place food in front of him, before walking over to my daughter "you need to eat" I said right as Alvin came thundering into the kitchen with Aniyah on his back giggling. Jay walks over picking three year old Aniyah ruffling Alvin's hair, as I put food on the table for them. "Where's Lexi" Jay asks Alvin the two were always together Alvin just shrugs. He sighs walking up the steps to get the one child that loves sleep. We struggle to get MillieFlorence and Justin to sleep because they didn't want to stop doing what they were doing. Alvin was no problem but he was always at the crack dawn same as Aniyah. Lexi was the one child that loved sleep just as much as she loved running around with Alvin.

"I don't get why we have to wake up so early it's not like we actually learn until after recess anyways" Lexi said making in wrapped up in a fluffy blanket. "She's right the brain doesn't wake up until ten" MillieFlorence said from the small table "book closed Millie" Jay said from his spot by Aniyah. "Sorry" she said closing the book as I sit beside her. Why we have two tables drive me insane.

Two years ago
Kelly responded to a fire which uncovered a crime scene. While I was examining the scene I came across a sweet girl in hiding. Correction Adam came across her and she was terrified. Me being the closest offered to help. She was in a fireproof, dirty, dark room. She was so little and adorable. She was also malnourished, definitely underweight beyond that a doctor would have to figure out. She couldn't be older than one. She clung to me refusing to let go. I couldn't even leave the hospital.
End of flashback

"Shh" i said opening up a book beside us making her quietly giggle. "Dads going to be so mad" "daddy Mummy and moon have books" Aniyah said she was learning the concept of not saying everything you see.  "I swear I will burn all the books go all nazi on these things" Jay said sighing "your as bad as each other" "if they have books can I have my invention" "no" Jay said. We were fighting iPads and phones like most households, we were fighting books and inventions. The thought alone makes me laugh. "I swear we are from another planet" Jay mumbles throwing Aniyahs doll across the room. It wasn't an average doll. It was a plastic scary doll she had a collection going.

"If one of them comes alive Dellie I swear to god" Jay said "oh like chucky that movie is hilarious" Alvin said "this is your fault" "she doesn't like normal dolls I'm not going to force her to have a nice looking doll if the scary ones give her c...

"If one of them comes alive Dellie I swear to god" Jay said "oh like chucky that movie is hilarious" Alvin said "this is your fault" "she doesn't like normal dolls I'm not going to force her to have a nice looking doll if the scary ones give her comfort" "that alone sounds crazy" Jay said "this isn't just my fault you are their father" "yeah you aren't exactly a normal person papa jay" Alvin said if we were sitting closer I would have high-fived him. "You aren't even my child" Jay joked it may not seem kind but for a long time, basically since the time Alvin could understand jay wasn't his dad but his step father they have joked like this. Alvin loves to tell him his not his father despite that will continue to call him papa jay or papa and if his feeling extra annoying daddy jay, which now apparently makes jay feel disgusting.

"I have track this afternoon I don't wanna go but apparently I have to do you think if I punch someone they will kick me off the team" "don't punch someone" I said immediately "mum" he groans "just say you don't want to and if they don't take that I'll pick you up" I shrug "just message us dude" Jay said getting up "daddy" Aniyah said pouting jay turns to face her and she stand on the chair jumping on him. Jay adjusts so she doesn't fall as he walks. "If you pick him up early can you pick me up" MillieFlorence asks "you have school" Jay said before I could "please I'll do all my work and even help mum in the lab" there it was the reason. "Can I come to the lab" Justin said I laugh "no and no you both will stay at school" I said grabbing my plate taking it over to the sink. "I'm going to go get ready...Want me to get her ready" "if you want to than yeah" it usually depends on how early he has to be at work. Dad wouldn't care if his late but he likes to go on time. I usually take all the kids to school luckily I don't really don't have to be anywhere. I do work but I don't have to be there by a set time typically. Although thankfully if a big crime happens and I'm needed Will or Kelly or April will come over but if they are working Cindy, Herman's wife would take them to school. I would normally drop them off. Their youngest is in the same class as Lexi, the twins weren't in the same class. I met her at a parents day thing, it was later at the fire station where I realised she was Herman's wife. I don't 'rely' on her when I'm needed. I base it on my kids if they have to go a million places I don't want to put that on her, She already has a lot to do. My dad is kinda the last option, everyone knows no one questions where he is. Jay and I will never say his with our kids. Neither will the team say anything. He also will never say no spending time with his grandkids. He knows I'm more important than him or jay (his words not mine). If his needed he lets jay come later, the team won't fall apart if one isn't there. We figure it out and still are.