Prologue

I sigh, standing on a hilltop under a yakuta tree and looking at the sky overhead, mindlessly munching on a kituna. Nothing good ever seems to happen around here anymore- I'm forever bored. I wish I could see Japan or someone, he always makes me laugh.

"Zubicu!!" yells China, running up to me and interrupting my thoughts. Well, at least I'm not on my own anymore. Although my best friend China can be annoying sometimes. Like now. Actually, that contradicts my previous thoughts. I guess I just didn't want to have him bugging me again. I sigh and turn to him.

"What now, China?" I ask tiredly. He blinks, surprised. 

"Zubicu, you're tired, aru?" I roll my eyes and nod. I know it's unusual for me to be tired- normally I'm out wrestling with my childhood best friend Romano or someone who likes fighting. However, recently I've had a ton on my hands what with England and Japan, who seem to be constantly arguing over something whenever I come across them, and it's always me that's the only one who can make them stop. I don't know what's wrong with them, they're never normally like this. China seems to be the only one I can still trust, and everyone has just been tiring me out lately.

"What did you want, anyway, China?" I ask again, looking at him.

China grins, his prevoius concern for me forgotten. "I have a gift for you, aru!" he says. Before I can object, he grabs my wrist and drags me the way he came. I wonder how he can bounce back from everything so easily. At first, I dig my heels in to try and stop him, but then give up and go with it, remembering that once China has made his mind up there isn't any changing it easily. A small smile appears on my face as I pick up on his excitement. Feelings always have to be contagious with me. One of the many facts that annoy the heck out of me on a daily basis.

A few minutes later, at his house, he sits me down on the couch and rushes off into another room. I sigh and lean back on the brown couch, wondering what it is he got for me. I decide to go over the general information of my country to keep me entertained as there isn't really ever anything to do when you're waiting for him. At least, in my case. For most others there's always something, but I've been over his place so many times I need to find new ways to keep me from being bored. Recently, this has developed to become the main way for me to stay entertained.

I'm Zubicu. My human name is Sasha. Sasha Wellwood. I'm a fairly average-sized country off the south-east coast of Japan. As such, we're good friends. China is my closest friend, although, we act so much like siblings that we might as well be related. My actual family is America and Canada, my brothers, and I'm exactly like America in terms of the fact I'm terrified by horror films and scary stuff. I'm the youngest, though, but I always forget if it's America or Canada who's the oldest. I certainly know who acts the oldest, but it isn't about personality. For some reason, I recently found out Hungary is my cousin. How this happened I will never know, but it explains where I got my looks from and why I don't look anything like my brothers. I was raised by Spain alongside Romano, which explains why we're best friends.

My country has a reputation for being the best sword-fighters that most of the countries know. People tend to avoid picking a war with us as they know they don't stand much of a chance normally. We have very unique tactics to help us win. I'm proud of my people for keeping the bloodline running all these years. The only person I myself will not face is Russia- he's just creepy and I tend to stay out of his way. Fighting runs in our veins, due to me having to defend myself so much when I was a chibi, first created as a young country, before Prussia found me and brought me to Spain. We have a lot of plants and animals from other countries and pretty much none from our own. You see, when I was found, I hardly had any natural flora and fauna. So they took some from their countries and gave them to me to help me grow. The only tree we have that is our own is a yakuta tree, what I was standing under earlier. They have wide, sturdy, dark brown trunks and bright yellow leaves, split in two so they look like a bunny-ears bow like what this girl called Rin from one of Japan's music-anime-style-programme-thing 'Vocaloid' wears except in yellow. In winter they bear bright, yellow fruit, small enough to hold in one hand like an apple, but they're round with pointy ends. The fruit are called 'kituna' and they taste really nice. The flesh of it is a funny taste, kind of like mangoes, but the water is sugary and really nice once you get to it, and there's a ton of it. The skin of it is quite tough, though. Our animals are also mostly from other countries, but we do have two of our own and it's really weird. One's called a 'venticuna' and it's a fast-running land animal. It's built and looks very similar to a jaguar, but it's a dark blue with pitch-black eyes and razor-sharp teeth and claws. It has really long fur, and it's a killer that luckily only comes out in winter. On the end of its tail is a razor-sharp blade that it will often use to deflect attacks from behind or even sometimes use as a weapon. The other is called a 'mohran'. It's kinda like a massive oversized wolf, but different. The fur colours can go every range from black to white, all shades of brown, and in some rare cases yellow. The eyes are generally green or brown but sometimes they can be neon orange- in very rare cases. We're developing a talent for healing, too. We have a lot of rain and snow in winter and a lot of sun in summer.

I'm interrupted from my thoughts by China plonking himself down on the sofa across from me. He hands me a big white box with a blue ribbon tying it closed. I smile. "Really?" I say, taking it and looking up at him, holding it in my lap. He knows blue is my favourite colour. He nods.

"Open it, aru!" he says enthusiastically, the biggest grin plastering his face. I nod, remembering that I have no idea what he's saying by 'aru' but guessing that it's a friend thing. I carefully untie the ribbons, tied in a very neat bow, and lift the lid. I gasp when I see it. Lying on the silver silk lining on the inside of the box is a black top, black trousers, and a black zip-up jumper that he calls cotton, all made out of really comfy material, and all elaborately decorated with swirls of gold. The collar doesn't cover my neck, so I won't overheat. The top only has small straps holding it up, wide enough to hide my bra straps but otherwise leaving my shoulders, neck and arms exposed. I guess that's for summer so I don't get too hot, and the jumper is to wear in winter, like now, so I won't freeze. The trousers are a little tighter at the ankles than normal so I won't trip over them, but everywhere else they're quite normal so I have room to move, and the waist is elasticated. I can tell they're designed to be travelling clothes, and they fit me perfectly, with plenty of room to allow me to move comfortably with no limits and hide weapons. I walk back into the room with China, wearing the clothes, and look up at him, my eyes shining. He bursts into laughter when he sees my face. "Oh, Zubicu, you really need to see yourself."

I roll my eyes, still grinning. "What's the occasion?" I ask, plopping myself down on the couch next to him.

His smile disappears from his face instantly and he leans in, beckoning for me to do the same. I do so. "It's England and Japan." he whispers. I tilt my head to the side, indicating for him to continue. Something tells me this conversation will open a window as to why they're always fighting somehow, which is good as I'm desperate to know why so I can stop it for good. "They're fighting over you, and they're both out to kidnap you now." My eyes widen- now that I wasn't expecting. He continues, "You have until tomorrow morning to run, as after that they'll both be here and on your tail. As far as I know, one of them may already be here waiting. I've bought you as much time as I could, but I can't hold them away anymore than what I have. Pack what you can, and run." he says. I nod, standing.

"Thanks for the warning, China." I say. "If I want to get far I'd better get moving, no?" I add, smiling as I look down at him. He nods, also smiling.

"Good luck, aru." he says as I walk to the door. I look over my shoulder at him and flash him a comforting smile.

"Thanks for everything. I hope you're not drawn into this because of helping me out like you have. I'll try and repay you in any way I can if we cross paths again. Take care." I say, and leave his house. Once outside, I take a deep breath, and set off for my house in the clothes he gave to me. I begin to consider where I will run to.

Something tells me that I won't have much time to run.

~~

If you want to know what a mohran is, check my short stories. I have a whole article on them there. Other than that, enjoy the rest of the book!