Chapter 49

"Zubicu, calm down!" Romano cries.

"No!" I shout, turning around to face him. "She deserves what's coming to her! I don't care how advanced her flying technology is, she's going to go down!"

"But what if you get hurt?!"

"Then I'll take her down with me." I snap. "She acts all aloof and like she hates me, but really she still cares about me deep down like....before we became countries. If she saw me getting hurt she'd still come to help me even if it was her who'd hurt me. I'd be able to take care of her then."

"Zubicu, she'll kill you before you can get close!" he cries, standing up. He points to the door, exasperated, his voice raising. "You haven't seen how strong her army is! She has at least a thousand Eurofighter Typhoons out there and fuck knows what else she's got!"

"And I've got the fucking Spitfires and Apaches!! Romano, have you not SEEN the size of our army?! Besides, America's already promised to back me up and so has Canada."

"You talked to them already about this?!"

"They're my brothers!" I yell. "Of course I'd go to them first! Do you not get it, Romano? I'm smart enough to know I can't win this thing on my fucking own! But I want to take Flicrote down for her own damn good before she does something she regrets! Bloody hell, Lithuania has already reported she's planning to try and bring about World War 3! She was ALWAYS talking about this in school, and now she's finally gotten the chance!"

"Just fucking talk to her, then!" he yells.

"Talking doesn't solve anything! It never has done, and it never will do! Once she's made up her mind about something nothing's going to change it! For fuck's sake, even her own PARENTS, even her boyfriend couldn't make her change her mind! This is something she's always wanted, Romano, and she's gonna start it if it kills her."

"Which it apparently will do."

"Fuck no, she's going to be knocked back into the human world before she gets half a chance!"

"For fuck's sake- ZUBICU, YOU CAN'T DO THAT!!" he screams, finally snapping.

"Why not?!"

"ONCE YOU KILL A COUNTRY, THEY CAN'T GO BACK INTO THE HUMAN WORLD!!! THEY DIE!!! DID YOU FUCKING HEAR ME?! THEY JUST FUCKING DIE!!! They.. they get dissolved and they FUCKING disappear!" 

The reminder stuns me into silence. Of course. There's no way to send a country to the human world again. If a country personification is somehow killed, they disappear along with the land that they represent.

"Fine." I mutter.

He looks at me, wide-eyed. "Zubicu...you're telling me that you'd be willing to kill your best friend?"

I walk to the door. Pausing in the doorframe, I turn my head to look at him. "Yes."

"...why?"

"I've already gotten help, Romano. I can't back down. My units are mobile and ready to move, the Apaches are fully loaded and the Vulcans are too, not to mention all the other aircraft and ground units we have. We're going."

"But-"

"No buts, Romano. It's decided. As I speak, the ships carrying the ground units are moving out and the planes taking off. By the time we get to Flicrote to start the first bombing rounds it'll be midnight. We'll use the cover of night to attack. That way, by the time she's awake in the morning the bottom half of her island will be gone and the people either dead, dying or fled. Our ships will set off in the evening and I'll be going with them along with Sukrutra."