Chapter 22

"Whoooooah, there, hang on a minute. Japan's cheating on me?" I ask. This really isn't like him.

England shakes his head. "Well, yes and no. He doesn't think you and him are still in a relationship, and Greece never knew in the first place, so it isn't really Greece's fault. But Japan knew you still thought you were."

"So he went and started going out with Greece even though he knew it would hurt me? Without even telling me?" I ask, my voice cracking.

He nods. Wow, I think. That's really opposite what he's normally like. We stay there in silence for a bit, me sitting and him standing awkwardly in front of me, before I feel tears beginning to slide down my cheeks. I drop my gaze and close my eyes tight, lowering my head and clenching my fists as the tears increase.

Suddenly, I feel strong arms pulling me up and into a solid chest, then wrapping around me. I open my eyes in shock, only to find England hugging me comfortingly. I grip the fabric of his military uniform in front of my face tightly, and continue to cry, while he rubs my back gently, rocking backwards and forwards and making gentle shusing noises, like he would do to America when he was a chibi. Eventually, my tears slow, then stop altogether. When they do, England gently detaches himself from me, and holds me a little way away from him, his hands on my shoulders. He smiles down at me.

"It'll be OK. We're here to support you." he says gently. I nod, still greatly upset, but knowing I can move on. I smile at him, burying my sadness for now.

"Thank you for telling me." I say. "I need to get back to my work." As I turn to go back, England stops me again, gently turning me back to him.

"You shouldn't be working in the state you're in. Here, I'll finish it for you." he offers. My eyes widen.

"You'd really do that for me?" I ask. He nods, smiling, and I hug him again. "Thank you!"

He chuckles and gently prises me off him. "Alright, why don't you go and get yourself something to drink or something to calm down? If you need anything, I'll be up here." he says, sitting down at my desk. I smile and nod, walking to the door. Crimson lands on my head, and Sukrutra trots at my heels. At the door, I stop and turn back.

"Oh, England? I almost forgot to ask you." He spins around in the spinning chair to face me and raises an eyebrow, indicating to ask. "Um...can we be friends?" I ask, suddenly shy. He raises his other eyebrow, but then smiles.

"Sure."

~ * Later * ~

I sigh, sitting down on the couch and letting my depression roll over me in waves when I'm sure nobody is nearby. Even Crimson and Sukrutra have gone elsewhere. I bury my head in my hands, shaking slightly. England left a couple of hours ago, since he had buisiness to attend to. Spain's out with the BTT. Canada and Flicrote have gone home, and who knows where Romano is. Unless he went out the back way somehow, he's probably still in the house.

Me? I'm breaking further by the minute the longer I have to think about this.

Thing is, this is the first time I've suffered heartbreak. So I've no idea what else to do!

I feel the tears running down my face again, and try to fight them, shaking more violently with the effort of keeping back the tears without making a sound. Eventually, I feel the sofa dip next to me. I try even harder to stop the tears, but they won't and I end up shaking even more. The next thing I know, I'm once again pulled against a firm chest.

"Hey, ragazza. You don't have to keep it in like that, you know. Let it out, idiota." Romano says. I look up at him for conformantion. He looks down at me, before sighing. "Just cry. You don't have to keep up the strong act around me, you know." he says. At that, I burst into full-out tears. He just moves me to sit on his lap, and pulls my head into his shoulder, letting me cry. This is the kindest I've ever seen Romano....I didn't know he had this side to him.

I cry until I can't cry anymore. Then I just shake violently, clutching the fabric of Romano's shirt in one hand. He just gently rubs my head, making sure not to touch my back or curl. "Better?" he asks once I stop shaking. I nod, smiling up at him.

"Better. Thank you." I say, my voice trembling. I suddenly hiccup. We both blink in surprise, before bursting into laughter.

"I think we should get you a drink." Romano says, helping me up. I nod, walking into the kitchen to get myself some water. My hand hesitates when I think of the rum I used to have. Yes, I know it's not the healthiest drink, but us Zubicans love it ever since England introduced it. Seriously, come down to our island on a Saturday night and you'll find drunkards stumbling about all over the place. A lot with bottles of rum in their hands. They've cast off most other alchohol, although they won't turn down a glass of ginger beer. I shake my head and go with the water; I don't feel like getting drunk today, as much as I would like a good glass of rum.

I walk back into the living room and set my glass down, before flopping down on the couch. I pick my glass up again and take a long draught from it. Once I've emptied it I plonk it down on the table again. I lean back on the sofa and stare up at the celing. "So, I have a World Meeting soon. Wow, I'm surprised it's only lunchtime." I say to myself. "I'd better get ready." I walk upstairs to the bathroom to see my face, a light red from crying earlier, but calmer now. My eyes are still quite red.

I clean myself up and go to my room to get changed into my uniform, the one China gave me when I ran away. Then, I tie my war belt round my waist again, fully equipped as usual, and fasten my sword hilts to the belt. As I go downstairs, I slip my leather boots on. "Romano!" I call. "Time to go!"

Moments later, the grumpy country stomps downstairs, dressed up for the meeting in a beige military uniform. He slips on black boots, ties the laces, and looks at me. I smile, and walk out, him following me. Crimson lands on my head as soon as I step outside, and Sukrutra jumps into my arms. I laugh, and cradle the little mohran to my chest like Canada holds Kumanjirou, as I set off with Romano by my side to the World Meeting.