Chapter 46

I come round to find an ice pack on my head this time. My whole body is stinging and aching from wounds. I'm on my comfy sofa back home. Sukrutra nudges me worryingly, whining, and I ruffle the fur on her head reassuringly.

"Hey girl." I say tiredly, managing a smile. She grins.

"Zubicu, you're awake! You were out for ages, I thought you were dead!"

I chuckle weakly. "Sukky, I told you lots of times, we don't just die like that."

She shakes her head, smiling. Romano comes in and changes the ice pack. I smile up at him. "Hey, buddy."

He looks at me. "Idiota, you had me so worried."

I laugh. "You couldn't show a bit of compassion for your girlfriend? I just got back from a war, you know."

"In quite the spectacular fashion." Sukrutra puts in. "Spain quite literally kicked the door open to get in right in the middle of a storm. You were soaked. Of course, Romano and I were instantly worried, so he went to get a hot bath ready while I set up this little bed for you. We got Flicrote over here to bathe you, since she was a little worried too and actually willing to help for once. After that she put you in this bathrobe and set you down here."

"You've been out for a few hours, idiota." Romano mutters, stroking my hair. I smile.

"I don't think I'll be thirsty for a little bit. I've had enough water for a while." They both laugh as do I. "In any case, where is Spain?"

Romano and Sukrutra look at each other. Sukrutra looks back at me and sighs. "He's.....he's fine. Just resting."

I raise an eyebrow. "Come on, Sukky, tell me."

Silence.

"Sukky. Sukky, tell me."

"He's resting." she insists.

"Sukrutra." My voice becomes stern and demanding. Her head jolts up at the use of her full name in such a context. "I demand to know where he is, and I demand to see him."

They exchange another look, before Sukrutra gets up, pads over and lies down next to me. "Good girl." I smile and climb onto her back. She stands up and pads upstairs with me sprawled across her back. Romano follows us and quietly stands by the door. He sighs.

"Zubicu, before you go in there...are you sure?"

I nod firmly. "Yes, I am. Take me in."

He surpresses a shudder and closes his eyes, nodding, before opening the door. Sukrutra drops her head and walks in. This act they're putting on is unnerving me. He can't be that badly injured, surely? I look at the lump in the bed as Romano quietly shuts the door and goes over to the bed. He carefully peels the blankets back and checks Spain's forehead. Sukrutra pulls up alongside him and I bite back a gasp, all the energy rushing out of me.

He has several bruises on his head, and his coat is torn up with sword cuts and gashes. At the sight of him I feel just as weak as when I woke up. I mutter in no particular language and rest a hand on his. He groans quietly and turns his head slowly to face me.

"Z-Zubicu...." he groans in a low voice. I look at him fearfully.

"Papa....are you OK..?"

He smiles weakly. "I'm...fine....you know me, Zub....I won't fall to this...I'm stronger than that..."

I smile. Nobody's called me Zub in a while, not even Romano. I remember how much I used to love that nickname. When I was little and Spain was raising me, that used to be what they called me all the time. Romano would yell it if he was looking for me, and Spain would simply call it if he wanted me to help him out with anything. If either of them were mad they'd call me by my name, Zubicu, or with Spain he'd refer to me by my full human name, Sasha Lucille Jones. But mostly it was just Zub that I would hear. Of course, as soon as I hit my teenager years, that nickname began to fade, and the only name I would hear was my country name or my full human name. Eventually, that nickname was long buried and forgotten.

Or at least, that's what I thought. I grip Spain's hand a little tighter, and he smiles.

"Don't let go, Papa...." I say quietly.

He chuckles. "I won't...I promise...you do the same now, won't you...?"

I nod slowly, painfully. "Yes, Papa....I won't let go..."

"OK, that's enough, let's get you out of here so you can both rest." Sukrutra says. Romano pulls mine and Spain's hands apart and before either of us can protest Sukrutra bounds out of the room, roughly throwing me around on her back as she rushes me to my room and flops me down on the bed. I cry out in pain and glare at her.

"Sukrutra, what the fuck?! I'm injured too, you know! Treat your owner with a bit of respect when she needs help!" I yell.

She snarls, her fur bristling up until it's like spikes sticking out of her body in all directions. "We can't let you stay with Spain. If two countries who are both suffering from wounds as severe as you two are, then they have to stay seperated otherwise neither of them will ever heal."

I growl. "Well, I don't give a shit! I want to spend time with my father while he's injured!" I try to sit up, but she roughly pushes me back down with a paw.

"No. You're staying in bed until you heal." she says, firmly. I try to struggle but it's clear she won't let me get up to go see my father. I eventually give up, and fall back into the bed, glaring. She smiles, a little softer, drawing away as her fur flattens back down to how it is normally, soft and smooth. "Good girl. Romano will be here soon to check on you." she says, and pads out.

I sigh and stare at the ceiling, my head starting to pound. Spain's probably in so much pain right now, but I can't get up to go and help him. I can't really do anything. There's no way I can sneak down the corridor, Sukrutra's sitting right outside my door and goodness only knows where Romano is. In any case, Spain's bedroom is right at the other end of the corridor, so even if I wanted to sneak I wouldn't stand a chance. There aren't any secret passageways between my room and his, either, so that's not an option.

Even if there was, my head is hurting too much for me to be able to get up and move. I think my arm's bleeding. I'm not sure. Now that the adrenaline from everything is fading, my wounds begin to hurt more. Bruises on my back are really hurting the most, as I just lie there and stare at the ceiling, trying to ignore my pain which is all over my body and spreading. Then I hear the door open.

"Hey, idiota, I brought food and stuff." Romano. I force a smile and look at him, groaning in response. He's wearing his classic bright pink apron, which I always found funny, but cute at the same time. He sighs, sitting down next to me. "You're really in pain, aren't you, ragazza?" he says, almost sympathetic. I groan again, unable to nod my head due to the headache.

He sighs and helps me sit up slowly, then gives me painkillers and helps feed me, before bandaging my arm and putting a restraint on my head, then lying me back down.

"Get well soon, idiota." he says, before leaving the room. I catch a brief glimpse of Suktrutra staring at Romano as he approaches the door. He pets her on the head, between the ears; her favourite spot to be petted. In response, she smiles and nuzzles up into his hand, whining affecionately. He smiles and pats her head twice, before turning, casting a smile at me, and shutting the door carefully behind him.