Chapter 38

I walk down the stairs into the kitchen, grab a kituna fruit, and walk back into the sitting room. Sitting down, I pour over the plans. The Celtic festival is coming up next week. My people are already running around, making room and preparations for it, making sure nothing will go wrong. As usual, I've persuaded England to work with me behind the scenes. He's going to make all the fireworks into certain shapes using his magic. It's useful to have him as a friend. I think this year's going to be the best one.

Finding that everything seems to be all planned out already, I mutter random words to myself and roll it up again, putting the scroll back in its pigeon-hole on the wall. In the other holes are other stuff like letters. Crimson lands on my shoulder and looks at them all before turning to me and chirping. I shrug.

"I dunno either." I say, ignoring the twisting feeling in my stomach. Word came round the other day Tanegashima decided to rip up our alliance papers, and burn them. It came a little too late because at that point I was already screaming in pain from my stomach. By the time Spain, Romano and America got to my house my arms were red and black from burns, and I'd passed out on the couch while they were getting steadily worse. I dunno how they got me better, but when I woke up the pain had dulled and I was in my bed with the three sitting around me. I couldn't move my arms at all because they were wrapped in damp bandages and burn cream. Romano was holding my hand, which I found sweet.

That was two days ago.

The burns still haven't gone fully, but I ignore them now. Every time I think about it my stomach begins twisting uncomfortably and I have to sit down. Presently I find myself sitting on the couch, trying to ignore it. Deciding I need company to make me feel better, I text Romano, asking him to come over if he's free. A couple of minutes later he texts back saying he'll be over in five.

Smiling, I lean back against the couch. Romano seems to understand me better than my own brothers do. Although admittedly I wasn't born with them the way most others have been. I was born in the human world, when they were born in the country world. I'm just glad I got back here. Even if it is effort, I have help from the others. And starting over whilst going back in time meant I could learn everything I need to get by properly.

The pain suddenly comes back, in full force, and I hunch over with a groan, my arms wrapped tightly round my stomach. My eyes scrunch tightly closed in pain, but I force one open, gritting my teeth. I won't feel pain. I won't give Tanegashima the satsifaction. I growl, trying to take my arms away from my stomach, but give in to the pain as it increases rapidly the instant pressure is relieved from my stomach. I snarl in frustration, and decide to sit there and wait for the pain to pass. It doesn't, which worries me greatly.

"Hey, idiota, why'd you want me to come- whoah, Sasha! What's wrong?!" I feel the sofa dip next to me and Romano pull me so I'm almost on his lap, an arm round me. He rubs my stomach gently, trying to ease the pain. I feel it gradually subsiding, and smile up at him weakly.

"Stupid alliance papers again." I say. "And, um....thanks."

Romano chuckles. "Still not good at thanking, eh ragazza?"

I pout slightly. "It's your fault for giving me your personality aspects." We both laugh a little. He smiels at me.

"Feeling better?" I open my mouth to say yes, but take a shuddering gasp as he stops rubbing and the pain returns like a paintball gun. He sighs, and resumes rubbing. "I'll take that as a no."

I simply give a small nod in return. Dammit, I feel so useless!! Romano's taking care of me, and I can't do anything! What the hell?

I lean into my friend slightly as the pain begins to ease and cold replaces it. He tenses up for a bit, but then relaxes soon after and lets me. I smile, closing my eyes.