Chapter 19

I sit in the living room munching a kituna fruit again. Sukrutra sits on my head. I smile when I see Japan come in. He sits next to me and smiles, ruffling Sukrutra's fur playfully. She purrs, making him raise an eyebrow, smiling.

"Since when did dogs purr?" he asks. I giggle.

"She's a mohran, remember. She can purr and woof. Besides, she isn't an animal like what you'd know. I thought you'd know that by now." I tell him. He chuckles. Spain chooses that moment to come into the room- well, bounce. I raise an eyebrow at him, smiling in an attempt to hold back laughter. "And why are you so happy, Daaaad?" I ask, deliberately dragging out the word 'dad' to annoy him. It was what we did when I was little and stayed over at Romano's for months on end.

He laughs, plopping down on the sofa. "Zubicu, how could you forget? It's your birthday today~!" he chimes. My eyes widen in shock and instantly look at the calendar. Sure enough, the days are crossed off on what days have passed. One day, the one that hasn't been crossed off but should be next, is instead circled. May 21st- Zubicu's birthday.

I lean forward and bury my head in my hands, my elbows resting on my knees. "How could I forget my own birthday?" I mumble through my hands, greatly upset by all this. Everything that's happened completely made me lose track of time. Now I even forgot my own birthday. It doesn't sound all that depressing, but when it actually happens the sadness is overwhelming. My body starts to shake from keeping the tears back as I sob silently. Japan rests a hand on my leg comfortingly. 

"You forgot?" asks Spain, shocked. I nod my head sadly and he walks over, sitting on the sofa next to me. Not knowing about my fear, he rests a hand on my back. I freeze, and he hesitates, but then rests a hand on my back again. When he starts to rub my back gently, I let him, relaxing a little. He continues to comfort me until I stop shaking eventually. "Hey, it doesn't matter, Zubicu. We can still enjoy it!" he chimes. I smile, nodding and sitting up.

Suddenly, an all-too-familiar cry of "CHIGI!!!!" rings out from Romano's room. I sigh and get up, Sukrutra quickly adjusting her position on my head so she doesn't fall off.

"I'll go check." I say, climbing the stairs to his room.

Spain nods. "Just remember, Zubicu, we're having a party for you later. Tell him that if you can!" he chimes. I laugh.

"Alright, I will, don't worry." I call down the stairs, and head to the door that leads to his room.

We don't mind going into each other's room and we don't find it awkward at all, because we used to go in each others' rooms all the time when we were chibis. Even now, we don't think much about it. We would always share a bed with Spain when there was a thunderstorm, since we both hated them, without a second thought. Either that or one of us would sleep in the same bed as the other. None of us ever thought much of it, but ah well, times change, eh? Actually, no, because even now we'll share a bed if it comes to thunderstorms. I knock on the door to his room. "Hey, Lovi, you OK?" I ask worriedly.

An embarrassed squeak comes from behind the door, making me giggle and having to clap a hand across my mouth to not let him hear it. "S-Si, I'm just fine! D-Don't come in here, though!" I burst into outright laughter at that. "What?"

I grin. "Are you doing something naughty in there, Romano~?" I tease, knowing his reaction.

"No, idiota! What would make you think that?!" he cries, clearly embarrassed.

"Well, you yelled 'chigi' again, you squeaked when I checked on you, and you're insisting you're fine. Plus, you won't let me in. This isn't how you normally act toward me, silly." I say. He sighs.

"I-I'm working on something very important and you can't see it. That's why." he says. I smile.

"Alright, but apparently I'm having a party later to celebrate my birthday. I'd love it if you showed up. You know, like you did every year when we were little. I'd be pretty hurt if you didn't. Eitherway, hope you get it done soon." I say. "I'll probably be in my room with Flicrote if you need me. K?"

He simply 'mmhm's a reply, and smiling again, I go downstairs. Sure enough, the instant I set foot on the ground floor, Canada sweeps me up, throws me over his shoulder, and carries me straight back up the stairs. I scream and pound my fists against his back, but he still carries me up and puts me down on the floor in my room, then walks out and shuts the door behind him.

Instantly, Flicrote grabs my arm, dragging me toward the wardrobe. "OK, so I have to get you ready for the party in an hour!" she chimes. "The guests will start arriving in half an hour, so you have to be ready! I already have a party outfit sorted for you."

"I'm not wearing a dress, skirt, or tights, let's get that straight." I say flatly, turning my head to look at her as she sits me down in the chair. She deflates a little, but almost instantly beams again. I face palm, knowing she has another idea.

~ * Time Skip (I'm doing a lot of these recently, not just in this book.) * ~

I hear the music starting from the bottom of the stairs. Spain knocks on my door. "Zubicu, all the guests are here now and the party's started, it's time to come down!" he calls, before his footsteps draw back down the hallway again and fading as they go down the stairs. My eyes widen and I wring my fists, petrified. I get pretty bad stage fright, and having to walk down rather high stairs, probably with a lot of people watching, does not appeal to me. At all.

I find myself unable to move. Crap. Crap. Crap. Help.

Flicrote steps in front of me, resting her hands on mine. I look at her, and her determined brown eyes bore straight back into mine. "Calm down, Sasha." she says, calm yet commanding.

I flinch at the use of my real name, but she doesn't falter, nor does her expression soften. "I know you have stage fright, but get over it." she conitnues, her voice determined. "There are people down there who want to see you. Your birthday is marking the end of this war. You're now a very important figure and you need to live up to that. Plus, you're the birthday girl." she says. I nod.

"But what if they laugh at me? I'm not normally looking like this, you know..." I say, looking down at my outfit, and then gesturing to my hair.

She beams. "But that's the idea! Nobody looks how they normally do on their birthday, it's tradition!" After a few more tweaks to my hair, teasing it into place, she takes my hands and tugs me toward the door. My eyes widen as I stumble to gain my balance, but once I have done quickly follow her, despite the butterflies that have chosen this moment to start their gymnastics practise in my stomach.

My mind is screaming 'HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPP' but I force myself to ignore it. After all, I do like parties. I'll be a lot better once I get down those stairs and people stop staring at me. If they are staring, that is. Flicrote's voice brings me back to reality again.

"Alright, c'mon! The party can't get started without you!"