Cope

I wake up. More specifically, I wake up to something scratching at my hair. Opening my eyes, I see that it's just Purrcy playing with the knots in my hair.

"Purrcy-" I say with a tired laugh.

Grabbing my phone, I checked the time and saw that I was sleeping for almost 14 hours since it was six in the morning.

I quietly went into the bathroom and saw the bruise. It wasn't swollen, but it was a deep shade on purple. I covered it with makeup and went to go make some toast.

Just as I left the bathroom, the front door opened and Bill entered.

"Great." He said as he removed his shoes.

"What did I do this time?" I ask, annoyed of his presence.

"Nothing. What's your problem?" He says.

"I dunno. Maybe the fact that you slapped me the other day?" I say.

Bill rolled his eyes and went into his and Quinn's bedroom.

I finished making and eating my toast and left to go back to my room to play with Purrcy.

__time skip__

Lina had come early to the house despite the fact that the movie wasn't for another 3 hours.

"Your cat is sooooo cute! I'm jealous." She said.

"I know. I'm the luckiest!" I say.

She stuck her tongue out at me jokingly before saying:

"I might as well take this cutie! He's just so adorable I could eat him up!"

"Then I'll have to steal your dog!" I said.

Lina gasped dramatically.

"You wouldn't dare!" She said.

"Oh but I would!" I said with an obviously fake evil laugh.

Both me and Lina bursted out laughing.

The rest of the day passed pretty quickly and everyone enjoyed the movie. Lina ended up sleeping over.

__time skip__

It was around 10 pm and everyone besides me and Lina were asleep.

"You seem kinda distant with your foster dad. Bill I think." Lina said.

"I don't really like Bill. He's not very understanding of things in general." I said.

"Your foster parents seem like shit." Lina said.

"It's just Bill. Plus, weren't you the one complaining that your foster parents never let you do what you want?" I say.

"You got me there." Lina said with a giggle.

"Maybe we should head to bed. It's getting late and I don't want Bill to get mad at us for staying up." I said.

"Okay." Lina said in-between a yawn.

The both of us fell asleep pretty quickly.

__dream land__

For some reason, I was lucid during the dream.

I knew it was a dream and I was preparing for the worst.

"Maybe if you let me deal with them this wouldn't be so complicated!" Mary, who's voice I'd recognize any day, said.

"Please, I have as much trust in you as a toddler." Who I could only assume the voice of the rabbit lady said.

"They're here." Mary said.

Just like that, Mary was infront of me again.

"What happened to you?" I said while looking at all her distorted features.

"She died. You saw it happen with your own eyes. This isn't Mary. She just a figment of your imagination. A way to cope." The rabbit lady said from behind me.

Turning around, I saw her.

"What's wrong? Cat got your tongue?" She laughed.

"Who even are you?" I ask.

She seemed surprised that I talked but answered me anyways.

"It's Vanny." She laughed again.

I woke up gasping for air which, in turn, woke Lina up.

"What's wrong?! Are you okay?" Lina asked.

"I'm fine. Don't worry." I said while rubbing my eyes.

"Wait, what's on your face?" Lina said while pointing at the bruise on my cheek.

I quickly put my hand over it.

"It's nothing, really." I said.

"Are you sure? It looks pretty bad." She said.

"I'm fine. I'll be back in a second." I said while grabbing my phone and going into the bathroom.

Checking the time, I saw that it was 8 in the morning. I quickly put makeup on to hide the bruise and went back into my room. Lina, who had gotten up, was stretching. Once I got back, Lina left for the bathroom to go and change since her parents would be here soon.

Her foster mom came to pick her up and waved me off afterwards.

"Morning." I heard Gregory say from behind me.

"Oh, hey. I didn't see you were awake." I said, awkwardly.

"It's fine. I made you some toast if you want some." He said.

"Thanks." I said while going towards the kitchen to grab the toast.

Word count: 772 words