Chapter 55

Chapter 55: Finally His

Victoria Abbel's Point of View

"Tobi was born melancholic." I stared at the portrait in front of me. The portrait is huge, just like something that you can put in an art gallery. Habang nagsasalita si Trevor ay tiningnan ko ang photograph ni Tobi na hindi man lang ngumingiti. He was just staring right at the camera without any expression on his face. His face was just like what I remembered back then. He really looked like Trevor in his teenage years.

Nandito ako ngayon sa mansion ng mga Dmitri. It's already two weeks when I left the hospital. My wound is not fully healed but I can walk now. Kahit may nararamdaman pa rin akong kaunting kirot ay kaya ko pa rin maglakad. Trevor introduced me as his girlfriend to his parents earlier. And now we are looking at his brother's portrait at the second floor of the house.

"He died so young and unexpectedly." Paninimula ni Tevor. My heart aches for Trevor. Losing someone you care about must really hurt. It's like cutting deeply into your heart that could never be replaceable.

It's been what? Eleven years already? Good God. It finally sank down to my system that the person that I am staring at right now was gone for good. I will never see him again.

"Tobi was always sad and somber. It's hard to talk to him." Bumaling ang tingin ko kay Trevor na ngayon ay matiim na nakatingin sa portrait ng kanyang kapatid. He tried to search for words, to explain what really happen.

"It is as if he has his own world. He was always like that. I never really saw him smile and laugh even once." Napatahimik ako dahil sa sinabi niya. Really? I guess there are really born melancholic. And Tobi was one of them.

"I've done everything to explain what it is all about but Tobi will always shrug me off. As if he can only see a black version of the world." Bigla siyang tumingin sa akin. Sinalubong ko ang tingin niya. From my place, I can see how much he missed his brother.

"He used to like music. He always listened to them, to ease his sadness. That's why I've decided to become a musician, Victoria. So I can reach a lot of people through my music. Even if I hate crowds or people, I want my music to reach them. To make them feel special and let them know that life is beautiful." He continued. I opened my mouth and told him that I am proud of him for doing his part. Lalong tumaas ang respeto ko kay Trevor nang malaman ko ang dahilan kung bakit siya kumakanta. I thought it was just a hobby but there are a lot of reasons why he's doing this.

"It was good for a while but eventually music wasn't enough for him." The tone of his voice changed. As if he's just ready to drop something big on me.

"One day, he asked Mom about his feelings. He said he doesn't want to live with this kind of feeling anymore." Napatango ako sa sinabi niya. He looked at me pleadingly, as if I have to understand what he was going to say next. Napahawak ako sa kanyang balikat. I caressed it to tell him that I am there for him.

"Mom just shrugged it away. She doesn't know how to deal with her own son. Tobi's feelings were too overwhelming. He doesn't know what to do with them. Suddenly, he collapsed. The doctor said his heart rate and blood pressure rise and the blood flow in his heart was reduced. Tobi suddenly died from a heart attack." Naibalik ang tingin ko sa portrait ni Tobi at hindi maiwasang maluha. His words came out thick and hot under my skin. It was really sad to know how Tobi died. I wasn't expecting it. Can an individual really die from too much sadness? I guess it's really possible.

Unconsciously, I hugged Trevor tightly. He hugged me back, I can even feel his breath on the side of my ears. For the first time, I saw Trevor being vulnerable. He must really trust me enough to show this side of him to me. It's actually my first time seeing a man cry. I never saw my dad or my brothers cry. I was the one who do all the crying in the house.