Chapter 13: You And I

Nikolas POV

Strong. That's the only word that can describe her at the moment. Yes, she physically may be crying, but mentally is the strongest person I've ever met. All those horrific times she's suffered in that cursed house, she's stayed strong for her mother's sake. If I had the chance to do that, I would, but my mother was too amazing to last for the rest of my life. She may be in heaven, but she is still in my heart, guiding me through bumpy roads and difficult times...

We are currently sitting in my office, sorting out the papers Bells was supposed to arrange. Her eyes dart to the papers and back to the folders as she files them away, and all I do is stare at her intently. Watching her graceful movement like a hawk. Bells' eyes travel up to look at me, a small smile curving her lips upwards.

"Why are you staring at me, Nikolas? You are supposed to be helping me."

Bells points out, almost like this is my punishment, "For your information Bells, you were the one late to work. You disobeyed me so you should continue your work before I punish you even more."

Yes I do sound strict and demanding, but this is serious work, this is business. My rules that I have set shouldn't be for just the other workers, Bells should abide by these rules too because she is also a worker. Just because she is my secretary and I...she just can't break the rules, it's not fair on anyone else. " But I already told you what happened at home, can't you at least be generous. Please, Nikolas, it wasn't my fault."

Bells protests with an angry, but cute expression on her face, turning this situation from serious to amusing. I know that it wasn't her fault, but she was the one late, so she has to suffer the consequences.

"Bells, I don't want you in even more trouble, so I suggest you shut that sexy mouth of yours and complete your task."

My voice rumbles deeply, and I feel like the voice doesn't even belong to me because my voice has never been that low before. Bells' eyes slightly widen in utter fear, her fingers twist around the cream and silver bracelets that she wears on her right wrist. Instantly, I know something is wrong, and so I have the sudden urge to comfort her. Bells snaps out of her little daze and continues to do her work as she was told.

"Bells, leave it...we can do that another day. For now, we should relax and get to know each other better."

I wink flirtatiously at Bells, she ignores me, but doesn't prevent the smile that is dancing across her lips. Bells stays seated and rolls her seat to the far side of my desk so she is further away from me. Why is she doing this? Doesn't she want to know me better?

"Bells, stop the silent treatment. Why are you so closed off now?"

Bells chuckles amusingly, like this situation is funny, which it isn't. Bells stands up directly in front of me, her sparkling eyes almost accusing.

"How can you call me closed off when you're being cold and heartless? Last night you were feeling marvellous and now..."

"Now you are back to your normal self. Seriously, Nikolas, are you bipolar? Because I am beginning to think that you are."

She wants the real Nikolas while we're doing business? She is crazy. Bells has another thing coming if that's what she's dreaming of. Those boundaries will never cross.

"Bells, this is my business. I don't get myself distracted by women, I've had enough of them. So listen to me and sit that hot ass down."

Isabella clenches her fist, you can imagine perfectly the steam puffing out of her ears. This may not be the right time, but she looks extremely cute when she's angry.