Chapter 38: That Woman

Isabella POV

Lately I've been noticing Annabelle and Nikolas get a little close. I don't know how I feel about it, but Annabelle being the sister of Cassandra shakes me up a little. It's most likely her personality that has me questioning her, but it's something else as well. Annabelle is also really close with Daniel, which I don't care about, but Daniel doesn't like Nikolas and Annabelle is good friends with the both of them. How does that work out?

Yesterday, Nikolas couldn't see me at break time because he was busy in his office with some paperwork. So I haven't really had a chance to talk to him. In about a minute or so, I shall walk to his office and see if he has any spare time to spend with me, because I am really missing Nikolas and I don't like being away from him.

I push my wheelie chair under the desk and make my way towards his office, I meet a few colleagues on the way, a few 'Good Afternoons' are thrown at me. Once I get to Nikolas' office, I knock on the door, and wait for his reply. I make out a muffled and faint 'Come in' from him and so I enter his office.

" Hi, Nikolas, I wanted to see you because we haven't had much time together in a while..." Nikolas has a faint smile on his lips, almost as if it is a false smile. I don't want him to pretend for me, I want that smile to be real. " What's wrong, Nikolas? And don't tell me there isn't anything wrong because I know your smile is a deceiving mask." My demand causes him to chuckle knowingly, his white teeth on show. Nikolas stands up slowly from his seat, his eyes focused on me while doing so. His actions and body language imitate an angel's swiftness as he walks towards me, and it may soon become unbearable to handle.

" Hey, Bells, you look beautiful. As always," he flashes his charming smile, attempting to earn a reaction from me. " Thanks...um, y-you've been awfully close to Annabelle recently... I was wondering if you'd like to spend some time with me today? Even if it is an hour or less, please? " Desperation and sadness weaves its way through my questionable tone. Nikolas instantly looks into my eyes when I mention Annabelle. The lock of our eyes indicates that he too knows that it is true. But, it's as if something inside him snaps, suddenly, and all too frantically he jumps from his seat.

" Don't you dare think that I like her! Don't make such pathetic assumptions." His eyes are alert, wide, like a deer caught in headlights, but he isn't the vulnerable one. His lips are moving too quickly for me to process what he is talking about after what he just said. A blur. Why would he assume that I was thinking that? Who has planted this seed of evil in his mind? Oh, I can't even believe he assumed that I thought that about him, does he think that I think lowly of him?

But I clearly don't because I have feelings for him, not just any feelings, a strong and steady bond. If he doesn't realise that then he needs to learn to, otherwise I won't be willing to visit him in his office anytime soon, or at least until he knows what I think of this relationship.

" You're being pathetic, Nick, not me. Not once did I think that, so you stop being hypocritical. I would never think that because I know that you want this relationship, so please stop it. All I want is some time to ourselves because this business deal has eaten my life away, and you are my life, my family, please understand. You are well aware of my father and what he's like, so please stick to what you say about loving me."

It's as if I have just read a long script, my throat feels constricted, and the knot in my throat tells me what is coming next. Tears. There isn't any point in containing my emotions, he needs to realise that he can't just say things without considering the person's feelings, which is what he has been doing for the past years. I know habits are hard to eradicate, but this is a simple manner which he needs to learn.

" I do understand, love, trust me. I do. Sorry, it's just that I thought you were getting jealous, and I didn't want you thinking that I didn't like you. I more than like you, but I can't ever place my finger on what we share. It's something that pesters me night and day, is it the same for you? " Oh, there he goes again, calling me affectionate names, does he actually feel such feelings? He has just confessed to you, I think he is sincere.