Chapter 20: True Colours

A/N: Image of Nikolas' living room.

Isabella POV

" Bells, you stay right here, I am just getting the first aid kit." Nikolas places his warm hands on my scarred shoulders. His enchanting eyes stare into mine, like the intensity is too overwhelming to look into for a millisecond longer. " Nick....thank you for everything. Words won't make up how thankful I am for standing up to my father. Nikolas....just remember that he is a very powerful man, he can do anything." His eyes hold an amused expression, as if this situation is entertaining for him, but it doesn't completely seem like he is amused that way. " Babycakes....he can't touch me, don't you worry about me, worry about your beautiful self."

My heart flutters helplessly, as if it is falling because of his sweetness. This is something that is marvellous about Nikolas. He doesn't care about his worries and needs, the ones he cares for, he puts their needs first. And that's what makes him beautiful. Also, his stubborness supports his care and love for people, and in my opinion, it is absolutely romantic. Although Nick and I aren't together, there is a swirling and exciting feeling in my stomach, and it seems as if it relates to the word 'romantic'.

" Bells....this is going to sting for a while, but the pain will gradually vanish. Okay? " His voice seems to soothe me, like his silky voice is already protecting me from the pain that is cautiously awaiting me. His soft fingers work on my battered skin with moist medical wipes. " Bells? " His voice is released like a smooth liquid, and the nickname is like a spoon of sugar to sweeten his voice more. My eyes stay on the magic his fingers are doing to me, yet somehow, he still knows that I am listening to his unexpected words.

" Don't you ever feel lonely? Without anybody at home? To help you? To comfort you? " Nikolas throws a glance at me, expecting me to answer his question immediately. All I can feel at the moment are the relentless shocks that are penetrating through my weak veins. There is a feeling in my gut, that Nick feels this, too. Everytime we make contact, our skin bubbles with a peculiar buzz. " Yeah, but I'm used to it now, so that isn't a problem. What about you? Don't you feel like that...? "

Nikolas releases a humourless laugh, his head shaking as he does this. " No, not at all, Bells. You see....I've always been lonely, nobody has ever been there for me except for my mum and Mark. Nobody else cared."  His voice strangely drops a few decibels, like he's nearing the end of this conversation. It is a hard subject for both of us, it hits a hard spot in both of our hearts, and we really don't like to be reminded about it. " What about your father....? Wasn't he there for you? "  The second the word 'father' leaves my mouth, Nikolas slams the medical wipes onto the table beside me.

Although he is not pleased about the subject, his movement and actions are perfectly graceful. Nikolas throws the first aid kit in his glowing white bathroom, and trudges down the stairs. Why is his father such a painful subject for him? He never spoke to me about his father. Maybe the story is locked up in the secret depths of his heart. I shouldn't be interferring with his secret stories, it's his choice if he wants to tell me or not. Just like my secrets, just like everybody else's secrets. They are important to them and mean a lot, even little things.

     《《《《 PAGE BREAK 》》》》

" Do you want to eat now, Bells? You haven't eaten, have you...? "  His velvet voice lingers for a few more seconds, like he's unsure if I haven't eaten. Even though he seems like he's being nice, I still have a thought that he is not very happy about the subject I brought up earlier. If he is still angry then he would tell me, right? Although he hides his feelings a lot, he should trust me as I am his secretary.

" Yes, please. What is it that you are making? "  You may be thinking why I am talking professoinally, it's because Nick and I are completely off those tracks. Tell me which boss would allow his secretary to sleep over at his mansion? Tell me which boss would protect his secretary like a worried boyfriend? Tell me which boss would take his secretary on dates? Tell me which boss would kiss his secretary? Now it's time to straighten things up although this isn't what my heart desires. It's what should be done. My father is going to ruin Nick if he finds out that we are friends. Who said you were friends? Or are you just hoping for more? Those voices in my mind are urging me to ask him what terms we are on.

Nick and I are not friends, we just have a clear and deep understanding of each other's character and life. That's why we are on good terms. Nick and I have the same issue going on with our parents, so that's why we talk a lot, so we can understand each other's needs and desires. If that's how you want to put it. Oh God....these voices where whizzing in my mind when he kissed me, too, so maybe these voices are a good sign. Maybe I am choosing the right path by listening to my pestering, yet helpful conscience.

" Ummm...Bells? Are you there? " Nikolas' long fingers click snappingly, in attempt to wake me up, which he successfully does. His dark brown eyebrows furrow inwards, as if he is in deep thought combined with utter confusion. A word that I never thought I would use to describe a guy, swims gladly into my mind. Cute. That's right, at this moment in time, he looks so innocent and young, like he has grown a new face or replaced his beautiful one with an angelic, youthful face. You would never realise that he is Nikolas is you were to see his impossibly adorable expression.

" Oh! Yeah....sorry....lasagna would be perfect, thanks."  My answer to his late question leaves my mouth in an instant, like it wants to greedily consume the food, and not my bellowing stomach. And as soon as those words eagerly skip out of my mouth, his expression is restored with a triumphant look. Why he is feeling this way, I have no clue, but he shoots up like an electical bolt or spark, and twists his way into the grand kitchen.

It wouldn't be fair for him to do all the work, he is already being hospitable even though this isn't on his job specification as a boss. Nikolas is surprisingly a sweet, caring and understanding guy, and I am liking this Nick. And I want this Nick to stay as Nick, or then it will be too late to transform his personality back into a positive and optimistic one. This is exactly what had happened to my father....he's changed so much, he's lost in his own sorrows, unable to find his road through the light.

" Nick, I am glad you've opened up to me. To show you're true colours."

And then he sends me his heart-warming smile.

#Ash

{ M.B.B }